Cheapeast Physical Cisco Equipment that can help pass CCENT and CCNA

StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
So i'm studying towards my CCENT and CCNA and would like to know what is some of the cheapest equipment/setups(Routers/Switches) which I could invest in for my own personal lab?

I am looking to go on and sit CCNA Security and Voice after finishing my CCNA, if I could use this equipment for these certifications it would be great also.

I reside in New Zealand so some input from some New Zealand members would also be appreciated of the best places to purchase the equipment.

Cheers.

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Equipment for CCNA:Security: ASA 5505, and a 1841 router to run the IOS firewall. Also, you can setup VPNs with both.

Yes. You can just emulate it on GNS3... Although, Im not sure about doing the IOS firewall on GNS3.

you might want to take a look at my signature, too. for CCNA.

As far as Voice. I don't know, Haven't really delved into that topic yet :D
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177

I understand that I can use GNS3 and Packet tracer to pass CCENT and CCNA; However would really like to get physical equipment to be able to get hands on :)

Hate being so isolated here in New Zealand... Dosen't seem to be much 2nd hand equipment around.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would buy a setup on eBay and then have it shipped to you. You may decide that a (somewhat) significant investment in gear to help you learn is worth the cost, given the returns you going receive.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177

Thanks for your input. Living in New Zealand isn't easy, the shipping costs are through the roof! 200$ just to get them shipped here :\
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I wouldn't suggest buying a full-fledged "eBay Kit" from there. Instead, individual parts. Craigslist, Amazon just to name a few of the places to look.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out my Lab info in my Sig below. It has all kinds of info from Lab setups, online gear, workbooks, etc...etc...

hth
  • LamplightLamplight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought my gear off certification kits. Everything came with it. It's kinda pricey. Otherwise, I'd follow what roguetad said.
    Working On: eCPPT
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    StussyNz wrote: »
    Thanks for your input. Living in New Zealand isn't easy, the shipping costs are through the roof! 200$ just to get them shipped here :\

IMO, $200 for shipping on top of $200 for the gear is a bargain compared to the experience you'll get from the equipment and what a CCNA can do for your resume if you want to get started in networking.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    By far, the cheapest physical equipment you can use for the CCENT/CCNA that will also carry you forward is going to be 1721 and 1760 routers, then you'll be looking at Catalyst 2950 and 3550 routers for layer 2 and layer 3 switching, respectively. Depending on who you buy from, 2600XM series routers are also a very popular choice for Cisco studies, and sometimes they come dirt-cheap from resellers.

Two 1721's and two 2950's will be enough for your CCENT/CCNA studies, but you'll probably need to spring for the 1760s if you're going to do voice-studies, and you might need a couple of 3550's for anything more complicated than plain ol' CCNA-level switching. For security-material, you'll probably want to spring for a low-end ASA device, (or perhaps more than one.)

Where, exactly, you can buy this equipment in New Zealand, I couldn't tell you. eBay and other online resellers is the obvious solution, but as you mentioned, shipping can be a killer. Roguetadhg hit the nail on the head though, buy the individual items separately, don't spring for a full-fledged kit. You'll end up saving a lot of money in the long-run.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.