Got the routers/switches, whats the best setup?

BeanyBeany Member Posts: 177
Morning,

Purchased the following:

2x 2950 switches
2x 2811 routers with wic-1t
1x 2620 router with wic-2t

Want to set up a lab so that i can practice the commands/examples provided in the Cisco Exam Guide but not entirely how i should set up things?

Do i connect all the routers through serial cables?

thanks

Comments

• MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Well, you can build all sorts of different topologies with that! (Assuming you have all the correct cables)

Just remember for Ethernet: switch-to-switch, router-to-router, and pc-to-router connections use a crossover cable... while pc-to-switch and switch-to-router connections use a straight-through cable.. (However, some devices can auto-detect and it wouldn't' matter what type of cable you connected, as they would figure it out on their own, but best to just use these).

And yes, for connecting two routers you can use a serial cable. And looking at what you have for serial interfaces, it looks like you'll need a 'smart serial to db-60' cable. The smart serial side is what fits into those wic-2t's, and the db-60 side fits into the wic-1t.

If you're unsure of what topologies to set-up I'd recommend searching the forums for ccna labs, or something along those lines.. the subject comes up quite often and I believe there are plenty of resources that people point to.

You could make a lab like this: PC
    2620, for example... And then put the PC into a vlan, create an 802.1q trunk link between the switches, run OSPF between the 2811's, and then run eigrp between the 2811 and 2620. I dunno.. there's tons of things you could possibly do.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out the Lab info in my Sig below. There are several links there where you can download workbooks for doing labs.

hth