Windows NT 5 ? Sweet baby geebus ...

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
A friend of mine called me that he found a PC in the loft which doesn't boot and asked me if I could have a look. As it turned out the GPU was bust but once I replaced that and pushed the powerbutton - I got this :

308egwz.jpg

We can't login so who knows what's "on it" - but man, that brings back memory ...
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I remember the confusion when Windows NT became 2000, I thought it was the official home/corporate OS at that point which it "kinda" was except 2K was not very well supported for gaming I thought due to Direct X issues or lack of X, can't remember.
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sweet. Brings back memories.

Try one of those password removers. I've had great luck with those in the past. Would be great to see what's on that beast.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    We can't login so who knows what's "on it" ...

Try this to remove the Administrator password: Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor

That tool is also included in the Ultimate Boot CD: Ultimate Boot CD - Overview
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□

We can't login so who knows what's "on it" - but man, that brings back memory ...

The location of the alien bodies from Roswell is on that machine.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I remember the confusion when Windows NT became 2000, I thought it was the official home/corporate OS at that point which it "kinda" was except 2K was not very well supported for gaming I thought due to Direct X issues or lack of X, can't remember.

I recall Windows 2000 Professional being the most stable gaming platform before XP came out.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh, tried the usual tricks to remove the password without luck. ERD Commander too - doesn't even see the system. Didn't have much time though - hope I can get more work out of it. Doubt there is much on it - has only a 4.5GB disk (Seagate ST34520A).
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I never got to see "NT 5.0". The first I saw of it was when it was already Windows 2000... I got a Windows 2000 RC build that was handed out at a Technet event and installed it on my PC at the time (Pentium 2 400MHz / 128 MB RAM). IIRC it had some problems but was still usable, and I bought Windows 2000 Pro when it launched. I stuck with 2000 for a quite a while, well after XP was released, but eventually "upgraded" to XP due to Adobe Premiere Pro not supporting Windows 2000.
    DPG wrote: »
    I recall Windows 2000 Professional being the most stable gaming platform before XP came out.
    It was great... eventually. At RTM, driver availability really sucked, especially for gamers. It took a while for NVIDIA to release TNT / Geforce drivers, and Creative to release SB Live! drivers. By the time XP came out, the driver situation was all sorted out and many people never used Windows 2000. It really mirrors the Windows Vista / 7 releases... Vista came out and people cried about no drivers, but it was all resolved by Windows 7 launch.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    I think Windows 2000 Pro was the first OS I also bought retail - loved it ... Remember when you were able to modify the setupp.ini inside of i386 to just skip the key requirement ... was a wonderful OS for unattended installs :)

Driver situation was pretty bad in XP too - when I worked for Xerox, none of the printer had XP support for quite a while. I also remember XP 64 Bit never got proper driver support. I think the Soundblaster driver never came out of beta (and always time-bombed after two weeks).
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    It was great... eventually. At RTM, driver availability really sucked, especially for gamers. It took a while for NVIDIA to release TNT / Geforce drivers, and Creative to release SB Live! drivers. By the time XP came out, the driver situation was all sorted out and many people never used Windows 2000. It really mirrors the Windows Vista / 7 releases... Vista came out and people cried about no drivers, but it was all resolved by Windows 7 launch.

I know I used it as my primary OS prior to XP, and it was great for stability, but you're right in that driver support sucked. I had a Voodoo 3, and 2K drivers were more or less non-existent. I moved to a Geforce 2 and NVIDIA's support for 2K was much better by that point. Creative's drivers were horrible and buggy, but they were serviceable at least.

The only real issue I had were that some games just flat out would not install install in 2000, the installer would freak out. Most of those, you could get around by booting into Windows 98, installing there so everything was on the drive, then ganking some registry settings out and importing them into your 2K install.

Ahhh...memories.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Oh, tried the usual tricks to remove the password without luck. ERD Commander too - doesn't even see the system. Didn't have much time though - hope I can get more work out of it. Doubt there is much on it - has only a 4.5GB disk (Seagate ST34520A).

I wouldn't expect it to enter into the OS, even if you could reset the password, because it is a beta version that expired some 12+ years ago. You might try resetting the date on the BIOS to somewhere within the valid period, but I expect that wouldn't work either.
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 197 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nice pic!
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
    expired some 12+ years ago

Oh no, my dreams are shattered :D
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    DPG wrote: »

Agreed. I did so much gaming on my 2k box rockin the diamond monster 3dfx :) (rip voodoo chipset)

Delta Force: Land Warrior, Soldier of Fortune, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Half Life, Counter Strike (beta 7.1 baby!), Operation Flashpoint, Medal of Honor.

Those were the days...