Options

Does Microsoft 70-669 cover MDOP 2009 R2 or MDOP 2011 R2?

Tommy_DTommy_D Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, I'm preparing to take the 70-669 in a month or so, and as such I've created a lab to learn these applications better with. I downloaded MDOP 2009 R2 which contains MED-V 1.0 and APP-V 4.5 but I also see there is MDOP 2011 R2 which contains MED-V 2.0 and APP-V 4.6...do we know which version the exam covers? I hate it when Microsoft isn't specific in their objectives about product versions. The last thing I want to do is learn the newer version only to find out things changed since the earlier version and that I'm being tested on the earlier version...

Any insight is appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think you have to worry about the MDOP version. The differences are minor and 70-669 doesn't even cover everything in MDOP since there is another exam for it (70-656). Personally I would study the latest version since that is most relevant in the real world. If you are really worried about it, there should be a "what's new" type of document which you could review to see what has been added in the new version.

I passed 70-669 (beta) in early 2010 and 70-656 in mid-2011 (I had a free voucher that was expiring). As I recall the main focus is RDS and App-V for 70-669, and App-V for 70-656. After passing 70-669, I was able to easily pass 70-656 with a few hours of review of the remaining MDOP features (mainly AGPM). Of course things might have changed, and maybe someone has taken them recently and can confirm, but I thought sharing my experience might be useful since these are not the most popular exams and you might get few (if any) responses.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Tommy_DTommy_D Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! That helpful to know. I have found that there aren't a whole lot of chatter about this exam out on the interweb message boards, aside from here really.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, it's actually somewhat surprising. App-V is a very powerful and useful product, so I'm not sure why these certs aren't more popular.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    I agree: it is surprising how little one sees about Microsoft virtualization certificates. I am studying for the server certs, but just out of curiosity I read the beginning chapter of Mastering Microsoft Virtualization -- and I was hooked! Spend as much time or more on the virtualization exam material than the server material. There is some overlap, such as Hyper-V and RDS.