Layer 3 Switch 3550

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi,

Are the 3550 switches all layer 3 enabled out of the box? (I can I enable IP Routing). Was doing a bit of reading and apparently some come EMI / SMI. Would I be able to do Intervlan routing with either image?
For CCNP level, is the SMI suffice?

Thanks

Comments

• oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    As far as I'm aware the EMI ones have IP routing but smi don't. Though an emi image can just be put onto a 'smi switch'

That's what I understood from it when I was trying to find out anyway.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    I just ordered a 3550, but now due to my ignorance will probably end up with SMI on it. I initially thought 3550=layer 3 switching and that was that.

Fingers crossed it has the enhanced image.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With the 3550, you can update it for free to the EMI. Just grab the file off cisco's website. Just make sure you're not going to use it for the production environment.

It doesn't work with the 3560 icon_sad.gif

I'm sure I don't need to say this: Make sure you make a TFTP backup of the IOS before going delete-happy in the Flash.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    With the 3550, you can update it for free to the EMI. Just grab the file off cisco's website. Just make sure you're not going to use it for the production environment.

Ahh now that's good news. Is this downloaded from the same area and in the same way as it i was getting other IOS versions? I assume I would need a Cisco ID etc.. to do this, which I don't have...
    Yes. You'll need to login. However, once you do you won't need to pay for the IOS upgrade. Free to sign-up. It's where the IOS would be downloaded. Do some cisco searching :P Their websites needs a certification to navigate it!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Yes. You'll need to login. However, once you do you won't need to pay for the IOS upgrade. Free to sign-up. It's where the IOS would be downloaded. Do some cisco searching :P Their websites needs a certification to navigate it!

I've signed up to the Cisco Learning Network area but guessing this is different. I'll check tonight as I do actually have an ID from passing the CCENT, can't remember what I've signed up for and what I haven't.
    Thanks
    Yeah... that was a headache Im glad I didn't need to do again. You'll need to get customer service to link the accounts. I spent some time trying to get the accounts attached. I'm still not entirely convinced that every-cisco site has been tied in.