Options

Migrations beat my ass

Bigfish826Bigfish826 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
why can't an acceptable answer be: By a new computer with windows 7 OEM?

Comments

• Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Yeah I hear ya.

I've never once migrated a customers data using any of the tools Microsoft has tbh. Backup user profile on external. Wipe, clean install....
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What's the story here? Are you taking about 1, 100, 1,000 or 10,000 computers? Numbers add up pretty quick when you talk CAPEX.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    It sounds like he's just venting about all the migration related questions related to the 680 but I could have misinterpreted it
  • Options
    ivx502ivx502 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you deal in scale it becomes economically non-viable to just buy new machines when it is so much cheaper to buy licenses in bulk. When dealing with the network I deal with the machines are still going to have to be re-imaged anyway. It would be nice to have a machine I could plug into the network and out of the box have all the policies pushed to it, but then you run into an issue of how secure is the network really if I am able to do that.
  • Options
    Bigfish826Bigfish826 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yea, Just venting.. those questions killed me on the exam
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Using Explorer is pretty impractical when you're migrating hundreds of machines, but I agree, it is rarely preferable to use Windows Easy Transfer over explorer. USMT, on the other hand, is an amazing tool and it's worth knowing how to use.

The problem is that the industry perceives Windows client certification as being more relevant to desktop support. Truthfully, the materials I studied for 70-680 and 70-270 were largely useless in desktop support. In designing migration projects and working on application delivery, however, it has been invaluable.

I wish that Microsoft would make the client exams focused strictly on client technologies and generalized Windows knowledge. Migration and deployment material really should be its own test and even its own certification. MCITP:Desktop Administrator actually fills this, but it has relatively little industry recognition. The new MCSE Desktop Infrastructure is at least a step in the right direction.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    Actually, there is a Microsoft certification exam that specializes in deployment: the 70-681.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've used USMT for testing purposes and pretty happy with the results. But for smaller migrations the GUI based model of USMT (I think its called Easy Transfer) works wonders!