CCENT ICN1 Material - Tod Lammle CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Textbook

StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
Hi all just want to clarify what chapters of the Tod Lammle CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Textbookare required in ICDN1 exam and waht are for the ICDN2 exam?

You don't have to know any VSLM for the ICDN1 exam? What are some of the other things which I can miss and not study up on?

For you that have already sat the ICND1 exam recently what were some of the best topics I should cover and study up on for the exam?

Comments

• Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    A quick search and if you have the 7th edition this will apply
    For the ICND1 exam, study these chapters:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16

For ICND2 exam, study these chapters:
    5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • ffhopkins46ffhopkins46 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You need to know everything subnetting to break into the Cisco realm! Classful and classless routing. I just passed ICND1 this afternoon and trust me you have to KNOW Cisco not just study. When you feel like you can teach the objectives Cisco gives on their website, you know you are ready to test. I'm new to IT but I'm very familiar with this degree of knowledge demand at a test level. Pick a guide, read, and highlight the details of broad topics. Pick another guide, read, and highlight. Then, take notes on your highlights and study those again. Take 20-30 minutes everyday to subnet (use this site...subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online). You are going to at least need packet tracer if not real hardware to practice commands and understand data flow in a network. To assist in learning the program as well as implementing network services like dhcp, dns, ssh, you can go on youtube.com and look up danscourses. Guy is amazing! I learned how to use packet tracer in a night! He also has every topic that CBT nuggets cover in his own CCNA course. Subscribe to him if you like his teaching style.
    All in all, your method should be to BE a CCENT and not just pass the test. I passed my first try with this methodology. You can do it. And I used Lammle's CCENT and CCNA guide. The CCENT guide was published in 2008 so I was correct in assuming that 802.11n in that manual was noted as an "evolving" standard. Refer to the objectives for what to study from the CCNA guide for ICND1.
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

• StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    You need to know everything subnetting to break into the Cisco realm! Classful and classless routing. I just passed ICND1 this afternoon and trust me you have to KNOW Cisco not just study. When you feel like you can teach the objectives Cisco gives on their website, you know you are ready to test. I'm new to IT but I'm very familiar with this degree of knowledge demand at a test level. Pick a guide, read, and highlight the details of broad topics. Pick another guide, read, and highlight. Then, take notes on your highlights and study those again. Take 20-30 minutes everyday to subnet (use this site...subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online). You are going to at least need packet tracer if not real hardware to practice commands and understand data flow in a network. To assist in learning the program as well as implementing network services like dhcp, dns, ssh, you can go on youtube.com and look up danscourses. Guy is amazing! I learned how to use packet tracer in a night! He also has every topic that CBT nuggets cover in his own CCNA course. Subscribe to him if you like his teaching style.
    All in all, your method should be to BE a CCENT and not just pass the test. I passed my first try with this methodology. You can do it. And I used Lammle's CCENT and CCNA guide. The CCENT guide was published in 2008 so I was correct in assuming that 802.11n in that manual was noted as an "evolving" standard. Refer to the objectives for what to study from the CCNA guide for ICND1.

Cheers, thanks for you input. I have had a lot of experience with learning the whole cisco material as I've already studied the material within my bachelors degree (Both CCNA and CCNA:Security). I am now just touching up on everything again before attempting to sit the exams. I have had a lot of experience within PT as well as using the physical equipment in my Uni's Labs.

Hoping to purchase my own equipment in the near future; However I'm trying to pass CCNA without spending a dollar (Just the Exam fee's). I will have a look at that youtube channel, thanks!
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, I'm going to be using the sybex 7th edition with Packet Tracer and CBT Nuggets. I have taken some cisco classes in the past and have been in IT fieled (mostly on telecom side.) Did you use any practice exams for ccent or did you just use the questions at the end of the chapter in the sybex book.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, ffhopkins46! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Thanks guys! There's a ton of material on CCCNA right on youtube.com for free and much of it posted by CCIE pros. Just look around until you find a "mentor" with a teaching style you like. I say this because youtube.com gives us an option of who we like and for free. Well, and understanding that though we are pursuing professional careers, most of which will be very technical in substance, it's easier to absorb material from a person who you understand well.
    As far as the guides go, I say go with whatever author you are comfortable with. However, for any subject you have a hard time grasping use another author's guide, a video course, start a thread here(but first check if previous threads can answer your questions), and/or the web. My only issue after searching for CCENT/CCNA tutorials, free .pdf files, quick reference sheet, etc. was where to start because I had too much. Take it one book and one day at a time. Make a schedule and stick it out. It's a rewarding feeling knowing you've gone to sleep a step toward your goal everyday. Good luck!
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

I didn't use practice exams for the test. Just the review questions and written exercises in the Sybex book. One thing I will say is when you are reviewing, go through the hands-on labs inside packet tracer. When you review the chapters, the scenarios in which Lammle troubleshoots an issue should be practiced in PT as well.