Options

CompTIA to get Harder

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good!

Maybe it might be seen more than an "Entry" Certification. Labs are fun. I just wonder how they're going to do this with vendor-neutral tone without teaching commands for specific vendors.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For a moment I thought they were just going to make the questions more difficult for no real reason other than to get more money out of people in which case I wouldn't bother to renew any of my comptia certifications but I actually think the simulation environment is the way to go. It's how cisco does and and from what I hear how microsoft does it. Just memorizing answers for a test does not help you in the IT field but if you can work your way through a simulated computer or network issues than I think that validates your skills as an IT professional. I don't know exactly how someone would manage to braindump the cisco and microsoft exams since a lot of it is simulation but I think it makes the cert more valid and studying for it all the more fun. We'll probably see a lot more network simulators like packet tracer out there only a little less vendor specific which I think is a great idea for an aspiring IT professional. Now I actually look forward to renewing my network + in a few years.
    DoubleD wrote: »

I'm not sure if there would be licensing issues to simulate something like the firmware on a linksys router but short of simulating the lights on a router or NIC it seems they'll have to do something like that.

Maybe it would be something along the lines of a simulated command prompt that would require you to run ipconfig ping and traceroute to troubleshoot simulated issues. I guess you would have to think about it from the perspective of being helpdesk and troubleshooting computer and network issues. They could always switch it up and throw nslookup in there to really make you think.icon_wink.gif

I get the feeling that while this test is meant to be more challenging it would actually be a piece of cake to someone who troubleshoots issues on a daily basis. It seems like the goal is to gear the test more towards real life troubleshooting skills and I think if they move in that direction it will get easier and easier for someone who does it for a living as they cut out a lot of the text book stuff yet at the same time if you have no IT experience, you're going to have to actually prove that you know what you're doing to pass the test. Who knows, maybe they'll throw in event viewer and some other great troubleshooting tools.

I post way too much.
    [NOTE] simply use the edit button and add to your comment when it is consecutively added
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Simulations would most likely be a generic router/switch interface with basic functionality on it. The underling knowedge is the same (setting static IPS, setting up wireless, etc...) just the GUIs are different.

I don't think the test will be easier for someone that works in IT already. Remember the exam was expanded to what a tech with 1 year would have instead of 3 month. Depending on the job site 1 year can be a lot.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It would be nice if you could just get one certification and then move onto work instead of having to load up on several.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    I just wonder how they're going to do this with vendor-neutral tone without teaching commands for specific vendors.

There is a video in the article posted which showes that in this instance, it uses Windows for example ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    BEEZBEEZ Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□