Options

Morning guys, anyone here have any opinions on a really solid book for tech?

methodmaynemethodmayne Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am about to graduate from my 2 year ELST program and want to be the best computer tech I can possibly be. Im always down for learning something new everyday. The broader my knowledge is the better I feel about my certifications. I passed majority of my classes with ease but I want a really solid book or books that have everything a tech should know about computers. I want to read everyday and keep up on everything I need to know plus more. Any good books on computers in general please feel free to share haha. Thanks guy.

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I really don't understand what you're looking for by "computers in general". There are millions of tech books that dive deep into every aspect of technology and networking but without knowing what specifically interests you we're not going to be able to suggest much. If you're working with Windows 7 a lot then we can recommend books, or networking, or hardware, ect ect. You need to decide what you want before asking for book recommendations.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    If you're just looking for a general knowledge and troubleshooting book, check out the Mike Myers AIO A+ certification guide.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    methodmaynemethodmayne Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry haha, I will be more specific. I'm looking for great books that cover things like computer hardware knowledge, like harddrive types and their configurations and assembling computers, but not just assembling, like understanding part speeds and appropriate slot types. So hardware books and the other thing I am looking for is a solid modem and router book. Like a book on how to find the systems IP, release and renew it, how to understand if the internet details are correct in terms of IP and ISP, basically a book on setting up wireless/wired networks. If anyone has any books similar to these two focuses please feel free to share, thanks.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are so many pretty good blogs out there by IT professionals who regularly update their sites. I am trying to learn Vmware now and the pdfs from Vmware and tutorials on blogs/Youtube was plenty for me to learn with.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have heard great things about this book although I have not personally read it:
    Upgrading and Repairing PCs (20th Edition): Scott M. Mueller: 9780789747105: Amazon.com: Books
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think Mike Meyer's A+ book is the right place for you. It will cover everything you asked about except configuring routing, which is a networking subject. The A+ does cover basic home wireless router configuration, though.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.