ICND1 Passed

Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
icon_cheers.gif

I just passed my ICND1 today with a score of 937. It was actually easier than I was expecting honestly, but then again, I might of just been prepared.

What I used:
Todd Lammle's CCENT Study Guide: ICND1
CBT nuggets
Packet Tracer
Lab (2821 router, 3560 & 2950 switches) - Rarely used.
(Just found this site a few days ago, didn't use any resources here icon_sad.gif )

I started with CBT nuggets (I already have my Network+ so a lot of the start was refreshing old information). Once I got through all those I read the book. Twice taking notes both times. Each time taking notes, I didn't care if I was duplicating anything, I just wrote it down. I did very, very few labs. I mainly just followed along in the book with packet tracer or with my 2800 router. I ended up using packet tracer more than anything else, my lab is just not that well equip yet to do everything that I need (WAN links mainly). I only took one practice test that was 10 questions.

I wouldn't recommend this study style for everyone. I think having my Network+ prior helped me a lot. Labs and practice exams were just boring to me. I'd rather spend that time learning more info if I can or building my own networks in packet tracer seeing what I can do. If I couldn't remember something, I'd refer to my book or notes. If I wanted to learn more, I'd google it. I did read over my notes once a few hours before the test. Usually when I write things down they stick pretty well. Most of the stuff I wrote twice too.

If anyone is wondering - I was a lot more **** about my Network+. I had flash cards for everything, also read Todd's book twice. Notes twice, kind of the same. But I did take practice exams like crazy here. I didn't bother to learn Subnetting at this step, I saved that for the ICND1.

Any questions, let me know. Although, I'm sure most have already been answered in other threads.

Comments

• illuminusilluminus Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    illuminus wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass!

• palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats...I wish to appear for it asap am pretty lazy when it comes to lab simulations...need guidance and motivation it seems
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • ffhopkins46ffhopkins46 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Took mine yesterday and passed too! We literally used the same resources lol
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

Congrats! Took mine yesterday and passed too! We literally used the same resources lol

Nice! Yeah, Todd Lammle's book is pretty good. I used his book for the Network+ as well. I like his style of writing. Seems the other book with the author's name starts with an "O" is more common though.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, Death Dream, on passing ICND1 and good luck on the ICND2! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    Congrats, Death Dream, on passing ICND1 and good luck on the ICND2! icon_thumright.gif

Thank you
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass. I am switching gears to this one myself as soon as I sit for my Security + at the end of the month.

Good luck in future endeavors,
    Gene
    Thanks guys.

I think I'll be going after my Security+ after my CCNA or CCNP. Haven't quite decided yet.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Congrats! Good job on preparing for the test !
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. You achieved a very good score, too. Shows that you were well prepared.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Right On! I'm going after the whole shebangabang and taking the 640-802. For study, I used the LearnSmartSystems.com material. It was a 69-chapter course with mini tests and a final exam(haven't taken it yet). It also had the Lecture series and Quiz Me series Audio Tapes with a 180-something-page PDF. Now I just need Simulator material. I've heard good and bad about Boson, and GNU is a little more than my laptop can handle(1.5Ghz 1.5GB RAM). Anybody know of any good online simulators?
  • MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Speaking of which, I thought the Max Score was 900? or is it 1000?
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MrPuzzlez wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I thought the Max Score was 900? or is it 1000?

CompTIA's maximum score is 900, Microsoft and Cisco - 1000. For the life of me I can't understand why CompTIA chose such a counterintuitive number.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What do you have to score to pass the exam...more than 750 i.e. 75% ?
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. You achieved a very good score, too. Shows that you were well prepared.

Thank you MAC_Addy :)
    palit wrote: »
    What do you have to score to pass the exam...more than 750 i.e. 75% ?

Passing score on the ICND1 is 804, or 80% depending how you want to look at it. Max score is 1000.
    MrPuzzlez wrote: »
    Now I just need QuoteSimulator material. I've heard good and bad about Boson, and GNU is a little more than my laptop can handle(1.5Ghz 1.5GB RAM). Anybody know of any good online simulators?

I used packet tracer more than anything. I installed it on my PC at work as well. In my down time I could play with it. Like I said before, I rarely used any of my real equipment for this test. I will probably use it more on my ICND2 when I get my access server delivered to me (can't wait).
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Congrats on the pass!

I had about the same score as you when I passed. And just like you I also think having the Net+ prior really helped me out... loads of overlap there.

Again, great job!
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you need motivation: Money.

Tends to help!

Great job on the pass.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• maddemmaddem Member Posts: 117 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on pass!!