Options

are routers protocol converters?

headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
In my mind, when the router takes you to another subnet, it is a gateway. And when the router converts ethernet frames to whatever layer 2 protocol frames for another medium other than ethernet, it is a protocol converter.

Understanding the differences between gateways and routers | TechRepublic

Today on a quiz for router benefits I was asked to list a bunch put that (protocol converter) and got it wrong. That guy above argues that it's only considered a gateway/protocol converter when it converts tcp/ip stack entirely.

If anyone can clear it up for certain.

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not sure if I understand. A routing protocol talks to other routers for the purpose of having knowledge of where to forward/route packets. That's it's purpose. End Game.

A Gateway is one way to start it's way out of your network - Autonmous System, onto the interweb. For example you could have 3 routers, connected to the same switch. All routers leave your network, onto the internet. You have 1 preferred "router", and you set that as the Default Gateway.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Link layer protocols are link specific. Once the frame traverses an ethernet link to a router the L2 headers are stripped and the packet is processed. Once it is processed and the exit interface is determined the packet is forwarded out of this new interface. What L2 headers are put on at this point are determined by the type of link. So technically it's not converting protocols as the frames are only link specific.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.