Options

MCITP 70-640 Labbing

sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Guys, (mostly those studying or who have passed)

What sort of senarios would you recommend labbing? How do you start out etc? I have 4 x DC's, 1 Main, 1 Secondary, 1 RODC and one that is part of another Domain. But its more so needing to know what needs to be done etc. Do you just play around with different things and find things and try to implement them?

First time really getting into the labbing side of things.

Regards,

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd try labbing through the exam objectives. Play with some different scenarios from any case studies in the various books.
  • Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    As you said, you can just play around with different things. You'll tire of that soon, though.

The title of your thread mentions the 70-640, so I assume that is what the labbing is for. So consider using the step-by-step labs presented in the Microsoft 70-640 Toolkit book. (Use Edition 1 for Server 2008, and Edition 2 for Server 2008 R2.) After becoming proficient with each chapter's labs, use Technet to delve a little deeper into the configuration settings those labs either did not cover or only lightly covered. Make mistakes and try to toubleshoot your way out of them.

If you want to learn the ins-and-outs of group policy better, use the labs in Jeremy Moskowitz's Group Policy book (published by Sybex). The book is about double the size of the Toolkit book mentioned above, but it is exclusively a book about GPOs. You'll learn a lot of GPO Best Practices from this book. The author writes in an entertaining way too.

One other approach would be to use the Microsoft Technet Test Lab Guides. Test Lab Guides - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki .
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went through and installed every feature and checked it out. on the practice questions i verified the correct answer by testing it in the labs, help to understand the what and where to do things as well as gives you a better idea of why the answer is correct as well as the others are wrong.
  • Options
    sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Monkey,

Is there anything different between the 70-640 training kit and the toolkit book?

Cheers
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For me I used the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit for 2008 R2. Each chapter has labs at the end of it. I did every one of those labs over and over as I progressed. Then I would change up the lab a little, adding more than what they asked for in the labs. On the final week, I wiped my servers (VMware), did fresh installs, and performed every lab from beginning to end. Finally, I created several deployment scenarios and then set up each server for each scenario and verified it worked. When I could configure each step from memory, I knew I was ready at that stage.

Good luck on your exam!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    ITMonkeyITMonkey Member Posts: 200
    My bad ... I've been saying Tookkit, where I should have said Training Kit. Brain cells fading away, I guess ...

I'll mention that I also used Lunchbocks' approach. It works. I just only found myself spending more time browsing after I felt I could do 80 pct of a lab by memory. My experience is that exam questions are often taken from Technet material. It is an impression I can't shake.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree; I would say that with the Self-Paced Training Kit and CBT Nuggets, it got me to about 75% of what I needed to know. Technet filled in the rest, and then some. I highly recommend using Technet as a resource, especially with areas of weakness discovered when taking practice exams.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+