Options

Failed ICND 1 today

smc7398smc7398 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys

I was wondering if any of you could help. Today I failed the ICND1 test with a mark of 687. I probably would have got over the 700 but never realised on simulator questions once you move to next question you cant go back icon_sad.gif Never the less I know I need to vastly improve in order to pass the exam.

The methods I used for studying was I purchased an online course Mindleader.com which I found helped a lot with the basics. I also purchased the exam simulator from boson.com which to be honest was a little disappointed in. The answers & explanations were really good but the test questions I found were really easy compared to the exam i.e. I repeatedly went through them & was getting over 900 points in each test exam so I was quite hopefuly going into the exam. What did surprise me from the questions were they were a lot different from questions in Boson simulator & included some things which I havent really covered from my study.

Im just wanting to get any feedback at all on what other methods of studying I can use in order to improve on my mark. Is there any other test simulator package on the market which would be better than Boson? Or alternatively is there any other methods of studying you can recommend I use?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    With a score that low I don't think more practice exams is what you need. What you need is to learn the material! I recommend getting the exam certifications guides by Odom and giving them a read through.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    smc7398 wrote: »

The answers & explanations were really good but the test questions I found were really easy compared to the exam i.e. I repeatedly went through them & was getting over 900 points in each test exam so I was quite hopefuly going into the exam. What did surprise me from the questions were they were a lot different from questions in Boson simulator & included some things which I havent really covered from my study.

Im just wanting to get any feedback at all on what other methods of studying I can use in order to improve on my mark. Is there any other test simulator package on the market which would be better than Boson? Or alternatively is there any other methods of studying you can recommend I use?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear you missed out. It sounds to me that your resources maybe the weak link here.

Doing the Boson exams over and over again until you are scoring 900 is not a proper test. You would be memorizing the answers each time you do it.
    I would say from my experience that Boson is the best for ICND1/2 questions. Also you could create your own flash cards with your own questions and answers on them or use proprofs website.

I think your study material needs to be looked at. I am not familiar with Mindleader so can't comment on them. Although 11 hours of training video which is what it states on that website seems too short in my opinion.

I would recommend the following:
    CBT Nuggets video series
    Chris Bryant/Train signal videos
    Rene Mollenaar's book on his website.
    Packet Tracer for creating your own labs
    Aaron B's router alley free guide to CCNA

The ICND1 is mainly about theory but it is very important to learn all the aspects.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    With a score that low I don't think more practice exams is what you need. What you need is to learn the material! I recommend getting the exam certifications guides by Odom and giving them a read through.

Thanks for reply was thinking after myself after score I had would need to do a lot more studying than what ive already done. Where would I get access to those guides Networker?
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wait, wait, wait hold up..you got almost 700 points and you did not lab anything on a simulator or equipment? wow, great news! I am sure many others who are trying to pass ICND1 will be encouraged by that as well as the fact that you got almost 700 points without a study guide!! This is very helpful. Also, if you would have gotten the simulation questions you would have easily gotten well over 800 points and passed! This has to be a real eye opener for ICND1 testers. I have also used an online product called Testout like the mindleader.com you used. I think I have a shot at passing with using it along with some test questions! I will even read a studyguide to some degree!
  • Options
    smc7398 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply was thinking after myself after score I had would need to do a lot more studying than what ive already done. Where would I get access to those guides Networker?

You can buy them from the Cisco Press website or Amazon etc.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can buy Wendell Odom's book from amazon.com. The CBTNuggets videos are also very helpful but expensive. Just don't get caught up studying the advanced material and forget about basic network operation.
  • Options
    MrXpert wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you missed out. It sounds to me that your resources maybe the weak link here.

Doing the Boson exams over and over again until you are scoring 900 is not a proper test. You would be memorizing the answers each time you do it.
    I would say from my experience that Boson is the best for ICND1/2 questions. Also you could create your own flash cards with your own questions and answers on them or use proprofs website.

I think your study material needs to be looked at. I am not familiar with Mindleader so can't comment on them. Although 11 hours of training video which is what it states on that website seems too short in my opinion.

I would recommend the following:
    CBT Nuggets video series
    Chris Bryant/Train signal videos
    Rene Mollenaar's book on his website.
    Packet Tracer for creating your own labs
    Aaron B's router alley free guide to CCNA

The ICND1 is mainly about theory but it is very important to learn all the aspects.

Cheers for that MrXpert it was a special offer I seen online for the Mindleaders course so this is the reason I purchased it. It seems that it contains only a small amount of info I need in order to pass the ICND 1 & 2 exams. I did find with a lot of the questions that there were a lot of things I hadnt covered before either in the workplace or through study so found it quite hard.

Thanks for the tips on sites/resources ext will go through each of them to try & get up to speed so I can get a pass next time.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would reccomend Todd Lammle's CCNA book. It covers both the CCENT and CCNA topics.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Michael2 wrote: »
    You can buy Wendell Odom's book from amazon.com. The CBTNuggets videos are also very helpful but expensive. Just don't get caught up studying the advanced material and forget about basic network operation.

Thanks Michael had a quick look on Amazon's site for the book & it looks as if it could help quite a bit cheers
  • Options
    $hortCircuit$hortCircuit Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What I've been finding to be very helpful. Read a chapter with Odom, then watch CBT nuggets. Then skim cover in Lammie's on the same subject. If something is unclear to me in Odoms. I just watch CBT then go over again. Of course I use Packet tracer and GNS3 too.After that process it REALLY sets in. I'm not planning on using any routers and switches for labbing in "real life" until I hit the ICND2 study.
    Seems like you werent far from passing. This IS a inspiration to me. Considering the materials you have may have cut you just short. It's ok though! From what I've seen from posts here. Everyone has their hard times with tests. Good luck in your studies.
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    There's a $9.99 ebook deal (until midnight Saturday) called "31 Days Before your CCENT Certification". It's supposed to be a day-by-day guide for what you need to be looking at / studying / learning for the last 31 days until you take the test. I've never read it so don't know how good it is, but it might be a jumping off point for you.
    This deal changes every Sunday -- $9.99 eBook Deal of the Week | Pearson IT Certification
    There's another that you can watch also -- $9.99 eBook Deal of the Week | Cisco Press
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Pick up a book and do some labbing you'll get there.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate to hear that did not pass on that attempt. I am in similar situation. I used Boson sims, Tammle Study Guide, created my own flash of every chapter, purchased lab and created my lab using Certification workbooks lab. However I failed with 642 on the ICND. However now I am, actually and trying better understand where concepts fit in my labs and I am fully alb as well get comfort in labing instead just going through steps.
    It ws pretty dis-hearting to fail the exam after putting that much time into studying. But I still trying and soon I will retake and pass this exam, I promise. I also, came here and asked for advice. The advice made me angry, so stop asking.
    I wish you the very best on your studys.........

PS: Networker I know you mean well but ...... I no best not
    An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC
  • Options
    Odom's book should be avoided like the plague.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • Options
    palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have purchased the study material from Mindleaders as well.It consists of 16 topics with 3 practice tests and they assure you that if you prepare them well and take some mock exams which they offer you will be able to pass it.

However I plan to write my exam sometime next month and I think I am going to finish their study material (which I have alreay done)and then go through each and every chapter of todd lamle anf then try some simulations on netsim boson before appearing for the exam.

Is it a good idea or something more is required to be added to my list...any suggestions? anyone?
  • Options
    palit wrote: »
    I have purchased the study material from Mindleaders as well.It consists of 16 topics with 3 practice tests and they assure you that if you prepare them well and take some mock exams which they offer you will be able to pass it.

However I plan to write my exam sometime next month and I think I am going to finish their study material (which I have alreay done)and then go through each and every chapter of todd lamle anf then try some simulations on netsim boson before appearing for the exam.

Is it a good idea or something more is required to be added to my list...any suggestions? anyone?

I don't know how good the Boson netsim and if you can create your own custom labs but if you can't then use PT.
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nothing wrong with Odom's book. I'm sure you'll find just about any book has it's own set of cons. Odom's books were a great read for ICND1/2 and they were the book of choice for me.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    neoteslaneotesla Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    +1
    I understand that Lammle's more informal style can appeal to many, and I don't mind it either. Being personally quite accustomed to a more academic (formal) writing style, however, I find Odom's verbosity quite familiar. icon_wink.gif
  • Options

He confuses a lot of people that don't try hard like me.
  • Options
    nkillgorenkillgore Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Download the boson simulator (netsim) and go through all of the labs.

Understand the material. Don't memorize it. I can't tell you how many times at work I didn't remember the exact command for something, but it really didn't matter because I know the concepts.

Can you answer these questions with more than a couple of sentences?

How does RIP work?
    Explain the path that a packet takes through networking devices going from end to end. PC -> SW1 -> RT1 -> RT2 -> SW2 -> PC
    How does a switch decide which port to send a packet out of?
    What happens if there are two connections between the same two cisco switches with default configuration?
    Explain Subnetting.
    When is a static route appropriate?
    What are the differences between Link-State, Distance Vector, and Hybrid routing protocols?
    Describe IPv6 addressing.

Go here: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-822.html
    if you can't talk about all or almost all of the bullet points there, you shouldn't be attempting the exam
  • Options
    mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cheeeeers Buddy Don't worry next time you'll take 1000/1000 why you targeting for reach just 700.. :D These are the resources to study bro.

Todd Lammel's 7th edition CCNA
    Packet Tracer
    Some Technotes can be found on forums here (techexams)

Important materials that you have to cover for your exam.

IP Subnetting and VLSM --> Go to subnettingquestions.com -> For prep test
    Recognizing the cisco devices , Broadcast and collision.
    OSI 7 Layers ---> 9 tut .com
    Router configurations --> IOS Commands. Search in google for "Student codes" You'll get decent tutorials for configuration and it's a wordpress blog. --> 9 tut .com -->best for sim lab.

Bryant Advantage is the best for visual studies also known as videos. :D thank you all the best next time target 1000/1000 :Dicon_thumright.gif
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How are your subnetting skills ?

One thing you really need to master for the ICND1 exam is subnetting. Don't underestimate it!! You really need to have it down cold. You should be able to subnet in your head in 30 seconds or less. It would be very hard to pass the exam if you are weak on subnetting.
  • Options
    Illumanati wrote: »
    He confuses a lot of people that don't try hard like me.

Well just about anything will confuse you if you don't try hard.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like to watch CBTNuggets videos, then cover the same subject in Odoms ICND1 book. The video is really good for concept, and the book is good for that as well but covers more detail. I am grasping and learning very well, with these resources, also Packet tracer, and Danscourses on Youtube help a ton.
  • Options
    Well just about anything will confuse you if you don't try hard.

cisco is easy peasy and can be done with simple rote memory so dont kid yourself,. i enjoy reading so reading odom's extra tax is low lying fruit.
  • Options
    neoteslaneotesla Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□