Vmware Converter Standalone

MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
Trying to use this to move a powered on vm to a larger storage disk, when getting to the step for destination server, enter ip address of esxi host and username and password. After hitting next, the program closes, no error, just disappears, process is gone. Have installed converter to a Server 2008 64-bit VM. All vm's are running on the same esxi host. Is there a better way to try to move a vm to a different disk on the same host?

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I usually use the Quick Migration feature of Veeam Free Edition for clients that aren't licensed for storage vMotion. You do have to have at least vSphere Essentials licensing though, VMware doesn't expose the necessary APIs on free ESXi.

Free virtual machine backup - Veeam Backup
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Why don't you just right click on the VM and choose Migrate? You can then move the VM to a different datastore.
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Why don't you just right click on the VM and choose Migrate? You can then move the VM to a different datastore.

This is what I was wondering. If the data store is seen by the host, just tell the host to move the machine.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■

Might not be licensed, larger storage might not be connected to host or don't know about SvMotion.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why don't you just right click on the VM and choose Migrate?.
    This is what I was wondering. If the data store is seen by the host, just tell the host to move the machine.
    dave330i wrote: »
    don't know about SvMotion.

I think the cookie is in
    Mikdilly wrote: »
    to move a powered on vm

and
    Mikdilly wrote: »
    All vm's are running on the same esxi host.

Based on the above I guess

1. Server is not attached to a vCenter
    2. Requirement is moving whilst the VM is powered on

There you do not have the option to migrate the VM without powering it off.

Question is - is this free ESXi because if it is - Veeam won't work either as the free version does not have the storage APIs enabled.

"Larger Storage Disk" might just mean the VM is supposed to get a larger OS disk - don't know.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    This is free version of Vsphere 5, the host is in Vcenter, the vm that I'm trying to move will be holding the datastore, one hasn't been created yet in vcenter. The vm to be moved can be powered off.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Even if there were something configuration related that would block the VM from being converted, you would get a warning to that effect. The program wouldn't just close without any output. Check your Windows logs for application errors and work from there. It sounds like to me that the program is just crashing for some reason.

I have done exactly the same thing with Converter Standalone v5, albeit to accomplish something different. I used it to correct partition misalignment, but it was migrating a VM to a new copy of the VM on the same host, different datastore.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...