What console cable do you use to connect to a USB port on your computer?

ghost2qghost2q Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Any brand recommendations or link will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Blue console cable in console port on router / switch. Has a serial connector. I use this USB to Serial adapter I bought at Fry's to complete the connection. I use it under Windows 7 without any problems. I believe there was a mini-CD with drivers that came with it.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For only $7.40 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB to RS232 DB9 male(Serial) / DB25 male Converter Cable | USB to Serial/Parallel Converters this is the cable that I use. It has taken some abuse in the years that I've had it, and it works perfect in the field.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    ^ I love monoprice, but shipping can kill the deal sometimes.

I use this with Windows 7: Newegg.com - SABRENT Model SBT-USC1M 1 ft. USB to Serial db9 Male RS-232 (9-pin) Converter

There are a few cheaper ones out there but this one had good reviews, so I bought it. Free shipping if you have Shop Runner (which I have).
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    True about the shipping - they knew this, and they've fixed it. They used to only have UPS which is generally a little bit more expensive. They're now using USPS, too.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Ah, I was not aware of that. Nice.
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I have one I purchased off of eBay but it looks very similar to the Monoprice one. I am thinking when I do my cat5e order on monoprice I may add that on there for my other desktop. I LOVE monoprice. :D
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    i use $2 ebay usb serial converter and $3 console cable. and both work perfect.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    For only $7.40 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB to RS232 DB9 male(Serial) / DB25 male Converter Cable | USB to Serial/Parallel Converters this is the cable that I use. It has taken some abuse in the years that I've had it, and it works perfect in the field.

Thanks for this, I forgot I needed one since my personal laptop doesn't have a serial port, but my older work one does. Least I can use my old D830 to test out the ports on the switches I used until I get the db9 to usb cable in.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1