Options

What path to take

erazzerazz Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
I got my Network+ in August, and passed my Security+ cert today. Right now i'm not sure which path to take next. I'm not sure if I want to go the Cisco route, or the San's route. What are some of the common paths individuals take after getting these some what entry level certs?

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the pass.

One thing I'd suggest is thinking about what you enjoy and would like to do. If you're doing what you love, everything else comes together.

The three primary routes I see available are Cisco (for those that enjoy networking and networking devices), Microsoft (for those that enjoy manipulating operating systems including both desktop and servers), and security (for those that enjoy security aspects). Some of the less obvious choices are SANs admin, database developer or administrator, and programmer.

Are there any topics that energized you while pursuing your Network+ and Security+ certs? Another thing to consider is where you'd like to live and work. What types of jobs are available there?

Good luck.
  • Options
    I've had a long career at a company doing desktop support for 11 years (been at the company longer though) which I enjoy interacting with people instead of just sitting at a desk. I've come to realization im at the top of my level and if i ever want to make more money, I need to move on to something more. I've looked at security because I see it as a field that is needed in every company, or at least consulted to every company as now data is more valuable then the product. I had initially started with Security+, but knew I needed more base education which was why I did Network+ first. So security is the way I want to head. I dont really have a training budget to take advantage of through work, so i'm somewhat looking for things I can do on my own study until I can get a job that will pay for more advanced levels of certifications.

I live in Columbus Ohio, which has a very large technical blueprint, but i'm also in a position that I can pick up and move on any opportunity, so i some what have an advantage there.
  • Options
    The CISSP is an excellent security certification that is highly regarded. Many people use the SSCP as a stepping stone after getting the Security+. The SSCP costs less to obtain, takes less time than the CISSP, and gives you a solid foundation for the CISSP. After passing the SSCP, you can then pursue the CISSP. With the CISSP on your resume, you'll find that you'll have a much better chance of getting interviews for security jobs.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses. Any recommended study guides for SSCP? I looked on this site and only really links for training classes which may not be in my budget

Edit: I now see you have a book on it, so I guess theres my answer lol
  • Options
    BEEZBEEZ Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for this thread erazz. I had my own questions but I think Darril has just answered them for me as well. Just orderd : SSCP Systems Security Certified Practitioner All-in-One Exam Guide. I should get it next week sometime. I believe I am ready to take on the SSCP path for now. Thank you again. Good luck to you!icon_study.gif
    I PLAN NOT TO FAIL...AND FAIL NOT TO PLAN!
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    BEEZ wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread erazz. I had my own questions but I think Darril has just answered them for me as well. Just orderd : SSCP Systems Security Certified Practitioner All-in-One Exam Guide. I should get it next week sometime. I believe I am ready to take on the SSCP path for now. Thank you again. Good luck to you!icon_study.gif

Good luck on your path. I'm sure with proper effort and study you will get this no problem
  • Options
    Darril,

In reading one of the reviews on Amazon for your book, it mentions digital material that's included. I was initially thinking about getting the kindle version so I could read it on my Ipad, but I assume those digital materials are not included with the kindle version? I definitely like having it on the kindle, but will get the book if there is other digital material with the book
  • Options
    BEEZBEEZ Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your path. I'm sure with proper effort and study you will get this no problem
    Thanks chitownjedi. I guess, I'll take this over to the SSCP/CISSP forum, though, I'll be checking in here from time to time.icon_cheese.gif
    I PLAN NOT TO FAIL...AND FAIL NOT TO PLAN!
  • Options
    erazz wrote: »
    Darril,

In reading one of the reviews on Amazon for your book, it mentions digital material that's included. I was initially thinking about getting the kindle version so I could read it on my Ipad, but I assume those digital materials are not included with the kindle version? I definitely like having it on the kindle, but will get the book if there is other digital material with the book

This book is published through McGraw-Hill and a contact there told me a while ago that there is an About the Download appendix at the back of the e-book (Kindle, Nook, etc) that provides instructions on how to download the files from a McGraw-Hill download site.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Well I bought the SSCP book and went to the link on testing locations and the only one it shows in the US is San Jose, so doesnt look like i'll be doing SSCP at least in the near future. Maybe i'll try the CEH for now
  • Options
    Testing changed earlier this year and testing is now done through Pearson Vue. This page talks about it: (ISC)2 with Pearson VUE and this page includes a search ISC2 Test Center Locator Redirect form. It could be that you found a location where they're doing on-site paper-based testing in conjunction with a course.
  • Options
    Excellent! Good to know, thanks!