CCENT advice?

someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I planned on studying for Network+, but after thinking it over I thought that I should go with CCENT instead, so I can be one step closer to my CCNA goal. Is this a good idea? I have NO computer networking experience at all, recently passed the A+ exam, it was easy for me since I am also going to school for an A.S. in Computer Networking.

I already ordered:

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 640-822 Official Cert Guide (3rd Edition): Wendell Odom: 9781587204258: Amazon.com: Books

Any advice on what else should I get or need?
A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???

Comments

• dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I cant tell you what you should do because I don't have my CCENT. But I can tell you this. I am currently studying for the CCENT and I already have my Network+ and everything I have looked through so far in CCENT I already knew except the Cisco IOS. I took the Network+ first and so far I don't regret it but most people will tell you to go straight for CCENT/CCNA.
  • TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    I have the same book, it is great book. Also acompany your study with Trainsignal or CBT video training and use pocket tracer (or GNS3). Also highlight important(key) stuff and and write them down. That helps me alot.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    There is also Lammle's CCNA book. I was also on the fence if I should get the Net+ before the CCENT. How I see it is that all of the material that you will learn on the Net+ is part of the CCENT. Once you get the CCENT there is almost no point to put the Net+ on your resume. You could always just read through the Net+ book, but not take the exam if you are worried about missing something. That route will save you some money that you could be using to build a lab :D

Amazon link to the Lammle book
    CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide,7th Edition: Todd Lammle: 9780470901076: Amazon.com: Books
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,079 Admin
    I highly recommend the Exploration program in the Cisco Network Academy. (The Discovery program is too high school-level.) Check if your school or a college near you has CNA Cisco classes. This is the only legit way to get Packet Tracer too.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dpjackal89 wrote: »
    ...everything I have looked through so far in CCENT I already knew except the Cisco IOS...

Me too - LOL - that's the very reason why I haven't sat the exam as yet. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I planned on studying for Network+, but after thinking it over I thought that I should go with CCENT instead, so I can be one step closer to my CCNA goal. Is this a good idea? I have NO computer networking experience at all, recently passed the A+ exam, it was easy for me since I am also going to school for an A.S. in Computer Networking.

I already ordered:

CCENT/CCNA ICND1 640-822 Official Cert Guide (3rd Edition): Wendell Odom: 9781587204258: Amazon.com: Books

You need a good foundation. foundation + motivation (and where to get it or where it comes from) is the most important. It looks like you have the latter. I found working in general IT to be the best teacher along with everything you got above! have you seen Dummies CCENT? I liked it and I have 15 years experience in IT and have gone thru Cisco Acad already.
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dpjackal89 wrote: »
    I cant tell you what you should do because I don't have my CCENT. But I can tell you this. I am currently studying for the CCENT and I already have my Network+ and everything I have looked through so far in CCENT I already knew except the Cisco IOS. I took the Network+ first and so far I don't regret it but most people will tell you to go straight for CCENT/CCNA.

same here, Network+ is a great foundation for CCENT. As soon as things slow down, I'm sitting for it. I would definitely use GNS3, PacketTracer seems limited at times configuration-wise IMHO.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • showboshowbo Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□

I already ordered:

Great book, read it myself (somewhat). I have my A+, Net+ and now CCENT. I watched all the ICND1 CBT nugget videos, read Todd Lammle first, then Odom (I just read what I wanted to brush up on really, skipped alot of chapters because I already knew it). Also had ICND1 from Boson, NetSim, ExamSim. Passed with a 950 :).

I will follow the approach closely. CBT nuggets ICND2, take notes, ready Odom, ICND2 Boson ExamSim along with Packet Tracer.

Good luck, and remember to focus!