Options

Office365/Exchange 2010 - Strip Subject?

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I got some hub transport roles which add certain strings to the subject when replying. Issue is now that replies of replies end up with the same string multiple times.

I cannot see anything in the HT wizard, but does anyone know a way to remove the subject of received external mails?
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Is this being done using a Transport rule? If so could you post the rule settings?
  • Options
    Ha? Like I say - we got some transport rules so yes, it is using transport rules. And I am looking for a rule so can't post it as it does t exist yet.

The one we got simply adds a word to the subject if an email is being send to a receipient outside the organisation.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    You don't want to strip the subject...

What you want to do use a rule with a regular expression to avoid prepending the subject with the same string multiple times.

Your rule should look like this...

Apply rule to messages
    sent to users that are 'Outside the organization'
    prepend message subject with 'Sent from Contoso!'
    except when the Subject field contains 'Sent from Contoso!"

Obviously replace 'Sent from Contoso!' with whatever the string you're prepending the subject line is supposed to be.

This will keep it from adding the text when someone replies to a reply of the original message. It'll only add it if it doesn't already contain the string.
  • Options
    Thanks. This is what I tried already in the very first rule and I thought it didn't work. So I got desperate and thought stripping the subject is the easiest bit. Thought I was about to lose it, I had a powershell syntax error or they removed it with SP2 (you never know). As it turned out though, I had the rules set already correctly, but they didn't work / weren't applied correctly.

Microsoft asked me to re-create the rules, which didn't work, so they did some tinkering and the HT rules started to work eventually.

Thanks though for your time in answering - much appreciated.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Good you got it working.

Transport Rules are one of the few things I actually prefer to manage through the GUI. I do nearly everything through PowerShell, but Transport Rules just seem to click better when I can visualize them.

Stripping the subject would have been far from the easiest as it can't be done "out of the box". It would have required a Custom Transport Agent... which involves opening up and compiling some DLL's with Visual Studio. Plus you would have ended up with messages getting sent out with no subject line at all if you stripped it.