Options

Certification Route for Beginner

jwpjrjwpjr Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all.

New to these forums, but I'm excited to be starting on my certification journey. I couldn't really find any topics on google that cover my issue, so decided to post a Q here and see if anyone can offer any advice.

So, here is my scoop.

I graduated college with a B.S. in Information Assurance in 2009. I loved the program, and security was something that really interested me at the time (mostly, because I hate software engineering, and IA was my only other option). About six months ago, I finally found a job as a contractor (permanent) at a BIG corporation working as a Project Manager/Technical Writer (lots of published works at the college level helped.) Anyhow, I love the job, but I really want to expand my knowledge and learn about some more "in depth" IT Stuff.

My situation is complicated because although I technically do have an IT degree, I could never back it up with any skills in an interview. My degree taught me a little tiny bit about a lot of different things. I took a few networking classes, a few classes that had us set up Windows DC's and such, and some Java classes (which I detest).

Since I'm a PM, everyone's initial reaction will probably be the PMP. To that I say...eventually, but not yet. I still don't have the experience to sit for it. So other than the PMP, which IT certs do you guys think someone like me would be able to acheive? I'm open to anything, and like I said, I'm just trying to expand my knowledge so that if a position opens up in another dept, I can have the exp at the company already, and a cert to back it up. I should also add that my company very very recently migrated to a Win 7 environment, and even more recently, migrated from Lotus Notes to Outlook.

I've heard some say the MCSA Win 7 Cert is a good starting point, but then others say you need to know Win Server 2008r2 inside and out to pass it, which I know almost nothing about.

The other reason for wanting some certs, I should add, is because I feel sort of..."uncomfortable" (I guess is a good word) when all of these people around me are throwing out "Tech" terms like they are everyday slang and in my head I'm thinking "WTF are these guys even talking about?"

Thanks all, and sorry for the winded question.

Comments

• Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Welcome to the forums. Yeah engineering is a tough degree, you have to dedicate alot of time and love math!

Anyway a great starting point is to get a couple CompTIA cert's: A+, Net+, Sec+. Also known as the CompTIA Triforce... They will teach you the basics.

Good luck!
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums!

To answer your question, I would agree with waiting for the PMP. The PMP has experience requirements that include a minimum amount of hours, and it's not an easy exam.
    If you wanted to go for a project management certification, you could look for the CAPM (also offered by the PMI, kind of a stepping stone to the PMP) or the Prince2 Foundation.

Although, you said you wanted to get some technical certifications, but preferably not programming ones. I would suggest some of the Microsoft server ones, perhaps the MCTS or some of the new MCSA certifications.

Also, you could look at getting the Network+. The A+ may cover stuff you already know.

Hope it helps!
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To the OP

You must walk before you can run. The best bet is to get a basic understanding of a computing/networking environment and go from there. A+ and N+ as well as understanding Windows 7 is going to help get you an entry level job. If you want to learn server, do so, but learn the basics solely so you understand how server/desktops interact.
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    I'd recommend Sec+ for starters. Your degree was in IA, so it should be fairly easy to obtain. And it will make you marketable for a large number of DOD civilian and contract jobs.
  • Options
    DrackarDrackar Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep, the_hutch is right on. Start with sec+ (or net+) then go for your CISSP if you have any desire to work for the government.
    To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.
    -- Kokoro by Natsume Sosek, 1914, Japan