CCENT noob! Help please!

joao.ciscojoao.cisco Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□

First off, good day to everyone! My name is Joao and I’mcurrently studding for the icnd1 exam using our friend Jeremy videos fromcbtnuggets and practicing using gns3 0.8.1 "virtual box edition".

As you might figure I’m pretty noob in the cisco world so bare with me pleaseeven if my questions seem basic.
icon_wink.gif

I have two routers R1 and R2 connected through their serial interfaces. I setup static ip addresses and add them to the same domain. I can ping them throughtheir IP address but I can´t seem to ping them through their names. Do I needto set up a local DNS server in order to accomplish that??

Comments

• ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    First off, welcome to the Forums! Secondly, yes a DNS server would be needed to resolve the hostnames. Honestly, the CCENT wont test you like that. Stick to using IP addresses as labs, practice quesions and probably even exam questions will focus heavily on that. Good luck!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    You can manually enter in host names into the router themselves if you want.

Don't quote me on this command, I don't have my router near me to test it out. In global configuration mode type the following:
    ip host [hostname] [ip of host]
    ip host R1 10.1.1.1
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    @Illumanati - That didn't help him with his problem at all...

Like what Death Dream said the ip host command should work. I looked it up on cisco command reference and found this link, just go to the ip host section and try it out.
    Cisco IOS IP Command Reference, Volume 1 of 4: Addressing and Services, Release 12.3 - IP Addressing and Services Commands: idle through ip local-proxy-arp* [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.3 Mainline] - Cisco Systems

Hope this helps.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    Well, i watched Jeremy Choara and Christ Byant. Although, both are really good instructors, they skip some info that Wendel Odom has them in his book. I thought i could skip the book and just jump in the videos. But it doesnt work that way, unless you already have tons of real world experince and all you need is crash course theory. But i learned alot from videos, and book is polishing them up. I scheduled my test for November 5. And i am in last 2 chapters in ICND1 book. Also i took lots of notes from book, Bryant`s and Choara`s videos, so i will review them last 2-3 days before the exam. Those notes helps alot and refreshe my memory.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • joao.ciscojoao.cisco Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the many answers and advices!

@ Death Dream, Patel128
    I actually tried using static mappings with that precise same command.

ip host r2 XX.XX.XX.XX

What confused me was when I wanted to create the same mapping in to two different ports (ex. S0/0 172.16.1.6 /30 and in Fa0/0 192.168.1.1 /24).

@ everyone who replied

Not having to set up local DNS service in icnd1 kinda makes me want to dig into more advanced topics before accomplishing it.

Thanks again for your advices on the material your using. Now that I’m off cbtnuggets lessons I’m focusing on Visual Cert Exam to practice some multiple questions but I´ll definitely lookup Wendel Odom´s book.