Options

Need help with a server lab setup

justinmoosejustinmoose Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

So here's my short story. I've got my associates in Networking Technologies and my CCNA. However, I don't know much at all about servers, vmware, or network administration in general. My NOS teachers were not good to say the least. Let's just say it took over half the semester just to install Server 2003 on the PC's in our class before we even started lol. I've tried to read online but nothing seems to start at the beginning. There is a vmware sponsored class at my local community class and it's supposed to be really good which starts in January. However, I want to get started before that. I'm looking to purchase some lab equipment. I want to be able to use vmware and hopefully both Windows and Linux platforms. Mainly, I want to have enough lab equipment to where I can do alot of what a network administrator would do. I need some advice on specifically (and I do mean specific lol) what I would need. I have a budget of about $1000 dollars. Please get back to me! Thanks so much!!!!

Justin

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LabGuides.com – Autolab

It's what I'm using at home.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Like Dave said, try autolab. I'm using a beefed up server to run autolab for vmware and gns3 for my cisco studies.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Adding on to my previous post, my understanding is that the Home Lab build is a huge learning process. The best advice I can give is to have a good idea of what you are planning for Certification/Technology wise and then factor in technology improvements for near future. For $1000 (+ or - $200) you can get a decent lab on the AMD Platform. I am using a setup similar to Vladan however I have compromised on some factors like
    1. Can't get Intel i7 or i5 in this budget, I have an older AMD Phenom 2 Quad Core AM2 which I can't upgrade.
    2. My Budget does not permit a NAS or Cisco Switch
    3. I will need a video card as I use the Desktop for Home PC as well
    Keeping this in mind I have an AMD FX-8120 8 Core Processor/ASUS M5A790 R2.0 Mobo with 32 GB of RAM and one 128 GB SSD
    For NAS and other shared storage requirements I will be 2 3 TB WD Green HD drives using Starwind and Open Filer. Using my old AMD Build as a ESXi Server :)
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]