The Purpose of Unicast, Broadcast and Mutlicast?

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
As the title states what is the purpose of it? Yes, I know I have my Network+ but as I am preparing for my CCENT exam, I know and understand the definition but I need someone to give an example so I can get this clear. Thanks.

Comments

• TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    When a switch gets the package and checks the header of the PDU, if the Mac address in the header matches the MAC one of the mac addresses in its mac address table, then sends unicast, because destination of the package is know. If there is no entry in the mac address table then sends broadcast. If the package goes to specific Vlan, then it is multicast message is sent to the Vlan group, but not all the ports in the switch.

I am not expert but i scheduled ICND1 exam for november 5, so as far as i know, this`s the explanation.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • jukemjukem Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The way I like to think of it is:
    Unicast - You and I talk directly to each other. (pc to pc)
    Multicast: I schedule a small meeting and speak to only the people I invite(people I want to hear what I have to say). (pc to multiple specific pc's. think online gaming)
    Broadcast: I go on T.V. and speak (my message is available to everyone). (pc to whole LAN\VLAN. ARP requests)

Hope this helps and good luck with your studies.
    “You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they wanna tell you, you can’t do it. If you want something, go get it. Period.”--Will Smith in the Movie: Pursuit of Happyness
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    TurK-FX wrote: »
    When a switch gets the package and checks the header of the PDU, if the Mac address in the header matches the MAC one of the mac addresses in its mac address table, then sends unicast, because destination of the package is know. If there is no entry in the mac address table then sends broadcast. If the package goes to specific Vlan, then it is multicast message is sent to the Vlan group, but not all the ports in the switch.

I am not expert but i scheduled ICND1 exam for november 5, so as far as i know, this`s the explanation.

I'm sorry but this is completely wrong. You are confusing bridge flooding with unicast, multicast and broadcast addressing. In our scenario the address is never changed from a unicast address, the frame is just forwarded in different ways.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jukem wrote: »
    The way I like to think of it is:
    Unicast - You and I talk directly to each other. (pc to pc)
    Multicast: I schedule a small meeting and speak to only the people I invite(people I want to hear what I have to say). (pc to multiple specific pc's. think online gaming)
    Broadcast: I go on T.V. and speak (my message is available to everyone). (pc to whole LAN\VLAN. ARP requests)

Hope this helps and good luck with your studies.

I like this Answer Much better
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs