is pocket tracer a joke?

TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174

I was just doing this basic direct route configuration.

All i needed to do was
interface Serial2/0
ip address 10.1.128.251 255.255.255.0

!
interface Serial3/0
ip address 10.1.130.251 255.255.255.0

and entered same command with just the IP addressed changed accordingly.
And when i tried "R0#Show ip route" i get nothing in routing table.

Simply i used same configuration in GNS3, and magically works.
I just wanted to show my frustration.
And may be some of you guys know the solution. Because pocket tracer is so convenient to use and GNS3 doesnt have switches option.
WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
csc.jpg 16.4K

Comments

• oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    It's Packet Tracer. No it's not a joke, excellent program to be honest.

Probably just needed to be restarted or something, never had any problems before.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    i tried 3rd time with different routers in PT, same result. First i thought i did something wrong and i wasted 1hour to troubleshoot. I could have finished chapter 15 in ICND1 book instead.

Then i tried in GNS3, and everything works as intended.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    PAcket tracer was an excellent tool while I was studying for my CCNA and I'd imagine it only got better since then. The worst thing you can do as a CCNA candidate is to underestimate it and to think that you are too good for it and need the "real deal". Stick with PT as much as you can during your CCNA studies and then jump on GNS3 or real equipment.
    Non-native English speaker
    I already bought my real equipments, i am just missing a few cables and a place to put my equipments. I scheduled my ICND1 in 2 weeks, i just wanna get done with ICND1 first and start using my equipments.
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    You are using serial cables between the connections. Did you remember to set one side of the connection as the clocking side? We could help you troubleshoot, but it's difficult with the information you gave. Can you post a config for each router? I'm sure it works, I just did it i Packet Tracer to be sure.
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never had a problem with Packet Tracer until I started getting into more complicated commands. It's perfectly suited for the CCNA, though.
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    You are using serial cables between the connections. Did you remember to set one side of the connection as the clocking side? We could help you troubleshoot, but it's difficult with the information you gave. Can you post a config for each router? I'm sure it works, I just did it i Packet Tracer to be sure.
    That has caught me out so many times!!! And I spend aged trying to figure out why it's not working.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    TurK-FX wrote: »
    Simply i used same configuration in GNS3, and magically works.

It's not magic, you are doing something wrong. If you really want help post your show runs or ask your Cisco academy instrutor.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can you post your running config from Packet Tracer, please?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • cpartincpartin Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can verify that you don't need to set clocking on GNS3 so that may be why it works on that platform and not PT.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cpartin wrote: »
    I can verify that you don't need to set clocking on GNS3 so that may be why it works on that platform and not PT.

Yeah, that seems to be quirky problem with GNS3.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think pt is not a joke by any means its great for running a quick lab to see how the output of something looks.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    zrockstar wrote: »
    ask your Cisco academy instructor.

This is my vote. With corrected spelling of course. :)
    Ok my bad, now it works. I actually put clock rate in my first try. But i put "clock rate 20000" and it said unknown clock rate. So i assumed i shouldnt have put the clock rate or something. Now it works :) but i wasted my 1 hour yesterday
  • satisphymysoulsatisphymysoul Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I read a lot about what software to use and everything on the internet was pointing to GNS3 which I attempted to use for a while. Everything I heard about Packet Tracer was negative. When I became to frustrated with GNS3 and tried packet tracer, I was like wtf, this program is GREAT!. It's been perfect for my CCNA studies.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,079 Admin
    Making mistakes and striving to find the solution is the best teacher. You'll now always double-check your serial clock settings. ;)
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Making mistakes and striving to find the solution is the best teacher. You'll now always double-check your serial clock settings. ;)

That`s for sure.
    I learned something else. I set the clocking from R1 Ser2 to R2 ser2 and R1 Ser3 to R3 ser2 they worked fine but i needed clock setting for R2 to R3.

:)