Options

What is possible once CCNA is complete?

BeanyBeany Member Posts: 177
Hi All,

At the moment I'm in a 2nd/3rd line IT network support job with 10% exposure to Cisco kit.

I'm currently studying for the CCNA course, once completed what kind of jobs can I go into? Want to know all options available?

Regards

Comments

• Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    you can get Entry Level network administrator positions.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    That's what I'm currently doing. I'm hoping to go into jobs that are purely Cisco related
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    That`s what i meant. You can get pure cisco related Entry Level Network tech position.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ha @ TurK-FX icon_lol.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Beany wrote: »
    Hi All,

At the moment I'm in a 2nd/3rd line IT network support job with 10% exposure to Cisco kit.

I'm currently studying for the CCNA course, once completed what kind of jobs can I go into? Want to know all options available?

Regards

one unique option is entrepreneurship running your own business...at the bare bones basic, well, you will get major bragging rights here, either route you choose.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Illumanati wrote: »
    well, you will get major bragging rights here, either route you choose.

I suppose he could try to switch jobs, either route he chooses. But, yeah, we'll be rooting for him! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    running my own business that's quite ballsy :)
  • Options
    beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Illumanati wrote: »
    one unique option is entrepreneurship running your own business...at the bare bones basic, well, you will get major bragging rights here, either route you choose.

Thats a good idea, years ago I was taking a CCNA class and the instructor suggested that maybe after you get experience you can get some maintenance contracts with small business that cant afford to hire a full time Cisco tech. Some guys are working their day jobs and doing this on the side building up there skills even more.
  • Options
    spongeymspongeym Member Posts: 35 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd certainly recommend going it alone. My position at the moment is that I've left my perm infrastructure job and started contracting. Using my current desktop/infrastructure skills to do support and I also backfill the network guy, so learning a lot of Cisco stuff from him whilst studying for my CCNA. Once I've got my CCNA I can increase my day rate or get an even better contract!! Best thing about it is I'm learning for free whilst doing my studying.
  • Options
    ceolusceolus Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello beach5563! What is the best approach to finding maintenance contracts?
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    that is interesting. What should a maint support engineer expect to be doing as far as duties?
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It will get you an interview or a call
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    RemcoSTRemcoST Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In reply to Septhstorm

Really varies from position to position, you can get anything from racking&stacking to basic command line stuff like adjusting switchports (VLAN for example) up to full on troubleshooting LAN/WAN connectivity. It mostly depends on how 'deep' the organization goes and how much is outsourced. For example, if you are the only network technician for the company and hardly anything is outsourced, you might end up troubleshooting stuff that is way beyond your pay grade, but you could also end up somewhere with a full team of network technicians varying in skill where you just get the basic stuff. (Although the last does give a great oppurtunity to learn.)
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    You could also end up in a multilevel NOC center. The one I work for most of them do 90% cisco. Reason I say 90% is higher level engineers may do things such as DHCP or DNS work on linux servers, Win Server support, etc etc. But even Level 1 gets a good exposure to Cisco and works their way up.