Options

Rookie seeking advice, life experiences w/ Mil and current make this a bit different

InfantryRaiderInfantryRaider Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good morning and thank you for taking the time to read this and answer/share your insight. I have been doing some searching and contemplation and was almost decided until tonight. Hence I finally joined and am posting this...

I started off straight out of high school on Active Duty AirForce in 2003 as a SF Team Member and transferred to the Army Infantry in 2007. I am currently in the national guard as an 11B and my only tech experience has been with me setting up stuff around my home and my friends houses.
I am not sure where to begin and which actual path I want to take in this career field... only that it is where I see myself for the next long and unforeseeable future... or at least until WWIII.

I do not know any programming code at but at least have seen some LadderLogic, HTML, and C++. I do enjoy designing websites from conception to launch and thru modification, as can be seen with Careers4Vets , but would have a hard time seeing myself typing in code all day as I do not believe I have that type of patience/concentration.
The closest work experience I have is with my current civilian job as a Field Service Technician in the pharmaceutical industry terminating and trouble shooting a lot of electrical and pneumatic connections. As well I also install and do some minor troubleshooting of Programmable Logic Controllers which utilize Rockwell software and Allen Bradley hardware.
I have only taken one college computer class and it was an online class while on my last combat deployment thru Embrey Riddle Aeronautical University covering BASIC computer hardware, software, and the Mircosoft Office Suite... I did receive the highest grade in the class tho. On this note... being that I am still in the Army National Guard I do have access to their online training curriculum for 25 series soldiers thru skillport/skillsoft to include many online certification preparation training modules.

Now that I am not focusing 100% of my life to the proactive physical protection of our great country my main motivation is to be able to take outstanding care of my wife and our soon to be first son through the same dedication and hard work that has allowed me to provide for my family so far.
I suppose the main question of the evening is that being I do not know much where should I start?

I was thinking about starting with my CompTIA A+(as from what I do know about available roles and the corresponding pay/benefits for my family I might like Network/Security/CEH) cert but then after reading and researching I realized how much I really dont know or at least feel 100% in and after reviewing the CompTIA website am not sure if I should be starting with something even more entry level such as the CompTIA Strata, an entry level Microsoft/Cisco, or one of the Cisco Certified Technician courses(as well maybe with my Field Service background should I start off in Field Service instead of a help desk type roll or do most companies not look at Field Service as a good start?) ... I am very appreciative of your insight and advice and look forward to busting my end to get where I need to go.

Thank you in advance as I realize this was a lot of info to understand for my picture!

If any clarification is needed or you have any questions please feel free to ask as I have thick skin and am very approachable...

Comments

• Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Thank you your service.

Well that was a long read, but sounds like you should just go for the CompTia Triforce: A+, Net+, Sec+ and then go from there. Oh man Skillport is death... In my shop we commonly referred to it as "coma based training". I would say just get a good book for each one as you progress. Having a spare computer around that you could tinker with would also be helpful.

Good luck and don't forget the guard will reimburse you for certification exam fees!
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    Roger that! Thank you for taking the time to read it and give your input.
    I do have the wifes laptop I suppose I could mess with and 2 routers here in the house. The down side is hers runs Ubuntu and I was always a Windows guy, lol.
    If you dont think that the SKillsoft/Skillport training provided on my AKO is all that great what "inexpensive" training aids would you recommend for the my A+?
  • Options
    DrackarDrackar Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, your topic a very situationally dependent and vague in a few ways. Still I will attempt to answer your question as best I can. I will explain a bit about my path through the security industry and hope that helps.

First, when I got out of the army, all I knew was I was pretty good at understanding basic computer concepts. So, I used my GI bill to go to school. But, that only got me so far. When I applied for work in data centers and ops floors I was always asked if I had my Net+, Sec+, or CISSP. Of course, I did not.
    I first sought out the Sec+ and quickly got into a boot camp style course for my CEH, ECSA, CPT, CEPT certifications. I ended up knocking the hacking type courses out over 1 summer, a grueling task for me. It was worth it though. I got an entry level position at a government ops floor. From there I continued to study and eventually made it into a "Red Team". From there I kept up with my CISSP and GCIH. I have had a great deal of success with this route and would suggest a similar route if you are interested in computer security.

Some advice though, never stop obtaining your certifications. Not only do they push you to the next level, a lot of times they serve as CPE credits for keeping your current certifications active.

Hope this helps,
    To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.
    -- Kokoro by Natsume Sosek, 1914, Japan
  • Options
    Thankyou for your service... what was your MOS?

I noticed you said that you went for the Sec+ first, did you skip the A+ and Net+ completely because of your college or did I misread your post?

Have you ever tried the Skillport/Skillsoft courses for the 25 series MOSs(Signal/IT) that are available thru the AKO Army E-learning?
  • Options
    Gholden85Gholden85 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used the SKillport training for the Comptia triforce (A+, Network+, Sec+). I wouldn't use it as your ONLY source of study, but it was definitely a GOOD second or third source. For these 3, I used: Book, the professor messer website, skillport. I was able to knock out A+, and Net+ with about 4-6 wks of study. Sec+ took me a little longer b/c I ended up PCSing the week I was supposed to take the test....but I still ended up getting it 4 months later.

I have gone through the Skillport modules for the ICND1, and so far have liked the fact that they give you mini labs to teach you all the commands. Again, just personal opinion, I think that the Skillport stuff is at least a decent second source or review material.

The most up-to-date classes will be under the CIO/G-6 folder, and then Baseline Certification Training. I hope this helps. PM me if you have anymore specific questions.
  • Options
    AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
    Some hints...

It is free IT training provided by the GOV. You can register yourself and get acces. Classes range from A+ thru CISSP concentrations. I use it before I attempt any sort of exam. Way better than skillport.

https://www.fedvte-fsi.gov/

Next. If you are at McCoy go to bldg 51. They have a IA Signal training center there. It is run by Jay and Randy. They and the crew there teach all the baseline certs A+, S+, N+, CISSP & CEH. It is free. I do not think they changed it much but you can register in person. The classes are never full anyway. They will put you in ATARRS. Best bet is to check with them. They are very easy to work with and good dudes. Just may have to do the prerequisite Skillport modules before attending.

I went the Computer Network Defense Class there. It is prep for the C|EH exam. Also they have tons of equipment. I bet they would let you play and help set up stuff for class if you play your cards right.

Let them know your story and I know they will help you. I know they will be in tomorrow as they are on the final day of a CNDC course. I have a Soldier up there attending right now.

Training is free. If you live close no need to worry about lodging. It is also a test center so you can take your exams there whenever. They also have all the books so you may be able to save some cash if they let you borrow a book or two.

I cannot promise anything from them but check it out. I am certain you can get in a class. Also check the McCoy extranet for the schedule for all the class dates.

PM me if you have specific questions.
  • Options
    AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
    How did it go?
  • Options
    @GHolden85, thank you for the advice.

@AnthonyF, first off thank you very much for the leads. I am still out here by Ft McCoy... is your soldier still out here? If so and hes allowed off post you should have him hit me up as I have lived out here for about 3 years now after getting back from my last deployment. I unfortunately just got this today but I will definitely be stopping by there today or tomorrow. I had no idea this resource was here and am seriously looking forward to it.

Again, thank you as your answers are very helpful and appreciated!