Options

Coaxial to VGA/DVI?

JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
I'm planning on getting a PC monitor that I might be able to use also as a replacement TV. The problem is that I have a line running into a room for an older TV that accepts a coaxial cable line from my cable box. The box does output HDMI and Component but I'm trying to avoid running additional lines if I don't need to, and from what I know, the component doesn't work anyway if the HDMI is plugged in, and I'm using the component cables for another TV. The monitor only accepts either VGA or DVI. Is there some kind of cheap/small adapter or cable that can be used to receive the cable signal and convert it to VGA or DVI [without loosing quality if possible]? If so link me plz. Thanks icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I'm confused on the full intended goal. You mentioned you might use it as a replacement TV. Does the PC monitor have a built-in tuner? If so, it will have a coax input (to receive a signal, not OUTPUT).

Are you planning on connecting this PC monitor to a PC also? If so, is it in the same room? You could always add a TV Tuner to the PC and use the Coax from the cable box to get the signal.

Perhaps something like this is what you are looking for: http://www.ambery.com/cocatvtodvih.html
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    That's sort of what I would need I guess, thanks. My immediate goal is to have another monitor for my PC, but I actually may not use it as a PC monitor all the time... perhaps less than I would if I were using it as a TV... it would just be nice to have it available for both, but the monitor only has DVI and VGA inputs. My old TV is in my bedroom and has a coaxial cable connected to it from a cable box in another room, which is also already used for an HDTV via component cables. So, I would hope that to use the monitor as a TV in that room, there would be some cheap adapter or cable I could use to connect the coaxial to, then plug that into the monitor for TV viewing (in HD, if possible)..(ideally, just unplug the coax cable from the TV and plug it into the monitor - but it has no coax input, so that's impossible wihout an adapter). To answer your question, no, the monitor does not have a built in tuner.
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    Hmm I'm not sure if there are many cheap demodulators of rf to HDMI/DVI.

It seems there are RCA to HDMI converter boxes for cheaper. Perhaps you could combine an RF - RCA demodulator (such as a VCR) in addition to this box.

I know AV receivers for example have built in transcoding for RCA and above, up to HDMI. I've never converted coax to HDMI before (just RCA).

For the level of effort, I would assume a TV Tuner would be a more viable option.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)