Options

Planning for the CCIE R&S

wavewave Member Posts: 342
Hi everyone,

I've been trawling through posts here for a few days now. I passed TSHOOT today and am starting to map out a path to CCIE R&S. I'm reading the non-technical guide to the CCIE lab at present...

There seems to be some debate over when the written exam should be taken. I've read that some people push it off, essentially prepping for the written and lab at the same time.

I've seen all the massive reading lists people have been using for the written exam, like Steve's here: My CCIE reading list! « CCIE or Null!

Now, the way I studied for the CCNA/CCNP was to read a chapter taking detailed notes as I went. I then labbed for 1-2 weeks on each topic, referring to my notes until I had a solid grasp of the material. I studied for 3.5 hours a day Mon-Fri and 9am-5pm Sat/Sun (sometimes just til 3pm) for 95% of weekends. I plan on a similar study schedule for the IE.

Based on the time-frame people are knocking out the written exam I'm guessing there is simply more reading than labbing going on? Because the lists of books I've seen amount to a huge amount of reading. Or, are people not reading these books cover to cover? Obviously a certain amount of repetition is essential.

It seems the Cisco Press OCG is a foundation, with the vol 1 & 2 books + mpls & qos books as more detailed supplements. Are you reading the OCG and then picking and choosing from the other books?

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    A word on the OCG for the written exam. The book is not written in a way to teach you any of the subjects. It is simply for review and leaves out PLENTY of detail on all of the subjects. If you are needing to learn the material I would not suggest this book as a way of doing it. It would be best used as the last review prior to taking the exam.

So I would suggest grabbing the blue print and start reading up on topics you are weak on from the various books like Routing TCP/IP, QoS Cert guide, etc. If you don't need to read from start to finish then don't. Then use the OCG as a review at the end.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Different people, different styles of learning. We both know that learning from reading or labbing are totally different. If a person doesnt lab while reading then it will catch up on him and vice versa. In my experience, the best way to learn is to read and lab at the same time. I learn better if I am labbing the technologies. Although, this will take more time.
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I actually picked up a few more books later on that I didn't add to the list icon_smile.gif

Like NOC-Ninja mentioned we all study differently, I have tendancy of remembering what I read so I typically tend to read an awful lot at first Cisco Press, Design Guides, RFCs, etc. Then reinforced it with labbing. So you just have to study the way that works best for you. In regards to when to take the written that's all up to. I haven't taken my written yet but I am continueing with my Lab studies. (Only reason I haven't taken the written yet is because I'm waiting for my 90-day mark at work so they re-imburse it for me)

The OCG doesn't really cover the topics as in-depth as you think it really just references them at a very high level. Just like Networker said.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Thank you all for your insight. Noc-Ninja and Steve, I've been reading through your CCIE quest threads which are helpful.

I've orderd Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 and I like the look for the INE material. Noc-Ninja, I'm definitely the same and lab workbook number 1 from INE looks like it would work well with the topics from Routing TCP/IP vol 1.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP