Options

Subnetting Multiple Locations

armycat23armycat23 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ok, I have this question(unfortunately nobody to ask or subnetting book).

IP Address 135.126.0.0

Three locations
Science Lab - 10 hosts, English Department 15 hosts, Tech Ed 3- 20 Hosts
(all three locations have a circle around them, including the signal path to English Department and Tech Ed.)

Address class- B
Custom Subnet mask mask - 255.255.255.224
Minimum number of subnets needed -5
Extra subnets required for 30% growth - +2
Total number of subnets needed - 7(doesn't need to be explained)
Number of host addresses in the largest subnet group - 20
Number of addresses needed for 30% growth in the larges subnet - +6
Total number of address needed for the largest subnet- 26

Start with the first subnet and arrange your sub-networks from the largest group to the smallest.

IP address range for Tech Ed 135.126.0.0- 135.126.0.31
IP address range for Enlish 135.126.0.32 - 135.126.63
And so forth for the other three subnets(remember that those two signal paths being circled).

So how is this subnetting divided for multiple locations? Is there anyone that can break this down for me? Especially why the custom mask is the way it is.........

Comments

• Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    armycat23 wrote: »
    Ok, I have this question(unfortunately nobody to ask or subnetting book).

IP Address 135.126.0.0

Three locations
    Science Lab - 10 hosts, English Department 15 hosts, Tech Ed 3- 20 Hosts
    (all three locations have a circle around them, including the signal path to English Department and Tech Ed.)

Address class- B
    Custom Subnet mask mask - 255.255.255.224
    Minimum number of subnets needed -5
    Extra subnets required for 30% growth - +2
    Total number of subnets needed - 7(doesn't need to be explained)
    Number of host addresses in the largest subnet group - 20
    Number of addresses needed for 30% growth in the larges subnet - +6
    Total number of address needed for the largest subnet- 26

OK I will try. I'm sure someone will do swirls around this explanation.

Start with the first subnet and arrange your sub-networks from the largest group to the smallest.

IP address range for Tech Ed 135.126.0.0- 135.126.0.31
    IP address range for Enlish 135.126.0.32 - 135.126.63
    And so forth for the other three subnets(remember that those two signal paths being circled).

So how is this subnetting divided for multiple locations? Is there anyone that can break this down for me? Especially why the custom mask is the way it is.........

Will try to explain..

255.255.255.224-255.255.255.255= 5 bits

Looks like your on the right track creating the subnets. Just remember The first and last address are reserved for broadcast and nxt network if I said that right. Basically first and last address cant' be used.

Download the subnet Calculator to check your work. This will clear up many questions once you see the subnets created .
    [FONT=&amp]The number of hosts[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]To calculate the number of hosts per network, we use the formula of 2^n - 2 where n = the number of bits left for hosts.
    [/FONT]
    about 30 host per subnet.

Looks like the question is asking for 26 address taking from the largest subnet.

icon_cool.gif
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    MusixaMusixa Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□

I can't fully understand your question but here goes.

To your question "Especially why the custom mask is the way it is.........", this is the required subnet mask that you'll be using to your subnetting and it gives you 32 available address, not to include the network and broadcast address. The reason why it is custom masked like this, is because the question said so.(or is it you that answered it?). Either way, it's because the maximum host per subnet needed is 26. From what I see here, you are using the traditional subnetting, so with 255.255.255.224, it can give you 32 available address, deducting the 2 reserved, which gives you 30 available address per subnet and this would satisfy the largest host per subnet that the question is asking you. The other location that needed lower host per subnet is also satisfied with the custom masked and in fact, it also gives them extra addresses.

So how is this subnetting divided for multiple locations?
    (This is where I can't understand your question, if my answer is wrong or didn't satisfy you, please clarify) :D

Put the subnetted network address to the proper location. For example:

IP address range for Tech Ed 135.126.0.0- 135.126.0.31 - put it to Tech Ed Department.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    classfull and classless addressing , (you call custom mask) VLSM= varriable length subnet mask.

What you call the 2 signal path are the WAN connections. You need to create the subnet for those also.
    configure you WAN first.

watch cbt nuggets ICN1, it has 4 parts, 4 videos about 2.5 hours.
    cbt nuggets ICND2 has 3 parts maybe 2 hours. If you super smart maybe you'll get it fast, I spent 6 weeks on it when I began, that is what our networking class was 6 weeks for subneting, it was a hard 6 weeks.

What you are discibing sounds exactly like a packet tracer LAB, is it a PT lab? (which one)?

If this is a PT lab you should be able to print out directions, and worksheets they really help!

It does sound like you have jumped in the deep end, when you should be on the shallow side first.

After this comes static addressing, and then comes summerized routes.

I hope I am not sounding rude, to you but IP subnetting is hard, it is nessasary to learn, and it is worth it.
    We are here to help.