Options

Site Blocking Software for Mobile Users - Recommendations

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I have 5 users that are very mobile, they are in multiple offices, multiple locations on a daily basis. Right now we use the features in IE's Content Advisor to only allow certain sites. Their manager is requesting something a bit more, shall we say, flexible? He wants them to have the capability to research potential business contacts, yet not allow personal email sites (yahoo, gmail, hotmail, etc). Be allowed to use Google or Yahoo search, but block social media sites, shopping, etc.

Open Source would be great, if available.

Comments

• Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    When you say Mobile users, I'm guessing your talking about phones? Or mobile in the sense of remote locations? If its phones, are you using blackberries? If your using BB's then what your asking for can all be done on the BES via policy.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you considered OpenDNS? It's cheap and very effective.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not phones, just laptops. These folks will sometimes connect with our office networks, other times they are on customer sites and are using their broadband cards to connect to the net to get emails, sync with contact database, etc.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You intend to have this kind of control only when they are in the office or even if they are at a customer site?

If the answer is only when in the office, then it's easy, you can use Untangle or something like that. If the answer is everywhere, well then you need something that has a little client on the PC that can be centrally managed. I'm aware Fortinet has a solution that does that, I'm not aware of an open source solution for that.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bokeh wrote: »
    Not phones, just laptops. These folks will sometimes connect with our office networks, other times they are on customer sites and are using their broadband cards to connect to the net to get emails, sync with contact database, etc.

If you can force the use of OpenDNS for DNS than it would work for that kind of situation. That's the cheapest method I can think of, otherwise it could get more complicated.