Options

Broadcast Domain and Collision Domain Problem

mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Broadcast domain probably uses for ARP - Address resolution protocol. And collision domain is the collide the data which sends by two devices on a segment network actually. but my problem is calculating the broadcast domain and collision domain, Somehow there is a strategy to how much needs a collision domain and broadcast domain?

Here is the question that i've need the answers
  • In switch there is a each and every port has a collision domain or breaking collision domain?
  • How to break collision domain?
  • What broadcast does instead of ARP (I'm asking any other services with broadcast)
  • How much collision domain and broadcast domain needs for a segmented network?
  • How Hubs collision domain and broadcast domain works?
Please if anyone can give me a solid answers for this,
[2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
+ Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
+ Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Basically, collision domains are broken apart by layer 2 devices. Broadcast domains are broken apart by routers.

1. In a switch, every port is its own collision domain. This is because switches direct traffic to only the correct port
    2. Collision domains are broken up by bridges, switches, and in some cases, routers.
    3. Don't understand the question
    4. Ideally, every end device would be plugged into a switch so there would be 1 collision domain per computer, printer, ect. Broadcast domains would depend on how you segmented your network
    5. Each hub is a collision domain. If there are 5 devices on one hub, those 5 devices share 1 collision domain. This means only 1 device can transmit at a time. Hubs and broadcast domains aren't related.

It seems counter-intuitive at first - generally, the more collision domains, the better.

Try these links

Collision domain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Broadcast domain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Collision Domains vs. Broadcast Domains | Cisco Skills
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    Basically, collision domains are broken apart by layer 2 devices. Broadcast domains are broken apart by routers.

1. In a switch, every port is its own collision domain. This is because switches direct traffic to only the correct port
    2. Collision domains are broken up by bridges, switches, and in some cases, routers.
    3. Don't understand the question
    4. Ideally, every end device would be plugged into a switch so there would be 1 collision domain per computer, printer, ect. Broadcast domains would depend on how you segmented your network
    5. Each hub is a collision domain. If there are 5 devices on one hub, those 5 devices share 1 collision domain. This means only 1 device can transmit at a time. Hubs and broadcast domains aren't related.

It seems counter-intuitive at first - generally, the more collision domains, the better.

Try these links

Collision domain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Broadcast domain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Collision Domains vs. Broadcast Domains | Cisco Skills

Hey carl thanks for your solid answer mate indeed, now I'm recognized but i have some few questions,
    ohh! then Collision domain avoids with CSMA/CA - Am i right? We should break broadcast domains too. :) because it sends the network broadcast to segmented network devices.
  • Options
    From i researched in search engine about broadcast domain typically i found a note like this, Probably say in my word,

"broadcast domain is a like a collision domain, You needs connect to the network segmented hosts, Simply If you needs to connect to 192.168.25.1 host (Network 192.168.25.0/24) therefore sending a network broadcast to all segmented network hosts and finding the host 192.168.25.1 and discarding other networks to find the 192.168.25.1 (Address Resolution Protocol) then there is a collide someone transmit a data from other device on the same network. So it can be called as "Half Duplex"?

Is it Right? This is very complex to learn, but Needs to study deep about collision domain and broadcast domain for step further chapter of OSI Models.