Options

Removing fans from lab setup?

Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
I believe I saw someone posted on here that they removed fans from their routers and switches. I'm curious how many others have done that or if they've limited it down to one fan per device. Being a lab, obviously there isn't that much traffic being generated as these were made for.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally I believe that removing the fans is not a good idea. They're in there to cool down the components. You wouldn't want something to go bad due to you removing a fan.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    If you remove your fans, your switch/router post will fail. When post fails, your device will not run due to safety of the hardware. You can try to replace it lower speed 40mm fan, but then it wont cool it sufficiently.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    If you want to reduce noise but not affect cooling invest in a decent cabinet. Larger fans typically run a lower RPMs so are quieter but have good displacement.
  • Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Yeah, my cabinet actually does have fans. Actually forgot about them haha