Best CCENT book?

Commguy23Commguy23 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
My employer required me to get Security +, MCITP 70-680, 70-640, and CCENT. I have finally completed the comptia and microsoft certs, now I am starting to study for the CCENT cert. I need to know which book is the best, from searching through the forums it seems like most people like the Todd Lammle, but the book is from 2008. I'd imagine there have been some updates to the test since then. If I use this book to study from, can I be assured it will cover all of the topics I need? I was about to order it and realized how old it was, I figured I would ask first.
Also, I used Transcender for my last 3 certs, and have also used measureup. Is Transcender a good practice exam for Cisco also? Or is there another one that I should try? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • mksmith777mksmith777 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am using the Odom book for my CCENT and it is a good book but a little boring but it tells you everything that you will need for the CCENT.
  • mohamedshajidmohamedshajid Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually you don't have to need to buy books actually all the notes are mentioned in this forum such as internetworking, OSI model, Subnetting and VLSM, Router configurations and more you'll find the notes here.
    [2013] CCNA Cert Exam @IBM Premier Campus in Sri Lanka
    + Reading Todd Lammle CCNA 7th Edition, CCENT Cert Dummies
    I'm totally afraid of heard strange word of cisco
    + Next Career - Red Hat Linux Networking And CCNA: Security (2013 Before June)
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Actually you don't have to need to buy books
    Really? Books are only $30 - very cheap.

Also, you say that and in your signature it states that you're reading Todd Lammle's book. Odd.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No, the Todd Lammle 7th edition, was published in 2011. And from what I can grasp from others, it's not necessarily better, but is is a smoother learning experience, or easier read, but that depends on the individual. I have Odom's books, and gone through it, now I'm just starting to go through it a second time, as I am in the final prep and review phase of my CCENT studies. It's a great book. I would recommend it, the only parts I did not do, were the subnetting chapters, As I already knew subnetting and it was kinda making me worse at it since I already could quickly deduce addresses within a matter of 10-20 seconds. If you want subnetting practice, I suggest looking elsewhere, and since it's so important, I would have to give this book an 8/10 rating.

edit: for subnetting reviewing, I watched Jeremy Cioara's videos in his CBTNuggets CCNA Series. great videos, with plenty practice exercises.
  • TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    Commguy23 wrote: »
    My employer required me to get Security +, MCITP 70-680, 70-640, and CCENT. I have finally completed the comptia and microsoft certs, now I am starting to study for the CCENT cert. I need to know which book is the best, from searching through the forums it seems like most people like the Todd Lammle, but the book is from 2008. I'd imagine there have been some updates to the test since then. If I use this book to study from, can I be assured it will cover all of the topics I need? I was about to order it and realized how old it was, I figured I would ask first.
    Also, I used Transcender for my last 3 certs, and have also used measureup. Is Transcender a good practice exam for Cisco also? Or is there another one that I should try? Thanks in advance!

Check this new version(Dec, 2011) of Wendell Odom`s CCNA book. It cover whole CCNA, but you can just study the CCENT portion of the book. And you will have the whole material just in case, if you decide to go CCNA
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)