Options

Looking for Advice on starting my CCNA Journey

Tavik WinterTavik Winter Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, I am new here and this is my first post. I’m about to start my CCNA journey. I have a little experience with networking but still miles to go like learning to subnet or use an industrial router (I’ve only used SOHO routers.). I really need some advice about a couple of products and what path to take. I’m looking at CBTnuggets.com with Jeremy Cioara & Trainsignal.com with Joe Rinehart. To give a little bit of information I’m going to take the test in two parts-the ICND1 and ICND2 and I will probably purchase the latest editions of Wendell Odom’s CCNA books (I believe there are two books to the set- 3rd Edition). I have also looked at howtonetwork.net, but I’m not sure about Paul Browning’s teaching method (he may rock I don’t know?). I would appreciate any advice that some of you seasoned vets have to offer, I would like to get the most for my hard earned money (don’t we all.). I’d like to thank all of you up front for taking the time to read and answer my post your input is very valuable to me :D

Comments

• Options
    manav.g.gargmanav.g.garg Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Tavik,

Like you even i started my CCNA preparations recently. I find CBT nuggets videos very helpful and i am following Tod Lammle's book. I would suggest read the course material then and watch the respective CBT nuggets video. If you are not able to purchase real devices(like me) use cisco packet tracer for labs.
    Keep me updated about your progress as it will be good to study with someone who is also just beginning!
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    I went the two exam path.. ICND1 > ICND 2 = CCNA

I used Odom's books and Lammle's book (Sybex press). In addition to that, CBT nuggets are great, they're just videos that help explain things, with a motivating personality to boot. Finally, you COULD build a home lab if you really wanted, but it's NOT required.. using packetracer works just fine for CCNA.. but depending on how much you want to spend depends on what you'll do.

Like most things that are hard to achieve, there's not secret. You gotta put in that pain.. read those books, write those notes, and lab as much as you can. Good luck!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I do not think anyone pointed this out, but the website that was blanked out on your post is probably a brain dumping site. I would not use it if I were you.

I am going to start studying for the CCNA after I finish Linux+, but I would recommend that you go the 2 test route like said before. When I was looking at CCNA material most have said that just using CBTnuggets will not be enough, and should only be used a supplementary resource. I would try the Lammle or Odom book, those are used by almost every body. Good luck, and if you have any other questions just post them up.

Also, I have already built up a lab for CCNA, but I only did because I like to have hands on learning. I know lots of people who have done CCNA on just packet tracer/GNS3/etc..
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    Tavik WinterTavik Winter Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the great advice. icon_cheers.gif