Recommended Books for Virtualization?

anthony.h80anthony.h80 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Here's my situation:
i am thinking of switching back to system/networking field from another non-IT related career track at this moment. I have no experience with server operating stuff but i loved working on CISCO networking which comes immediately to me. Now, it seems that i have stumbled onto this challenging topic while trying get the labs up for studying MCSA Server 2008.

Presently, i have installed VirtualBox & VM Workstation 8.0 and using books like "Microsoft Virtualization with Hyper-V" and "Virtualization for Beginners", but can't seem to get a grip on this deep topic..Can anyone please recommend the best materials for tackling virtualization?

Comments

• SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Mastering VMware VSphere 5 by Scott Lowe. Recommended countless times.

VMware View 5 Desktop Virtualization Solutions.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • anthony.h80anthony.h80 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Mastering VMware VSphere 5 by Scott Lowe. Recommended countless times.

VMware View 5 Desktop Virtualization Solutions.

Thanks, mate. Those titles come in handy on amazon review and placed into the reading list. There are simply too many books out there in the market that makes it hard for one to determine which is really up to mark for IT professionals. I am thinking of heading out for VCP once i take out the first MS cert, so that really helps.

What about Hyper-V books, are those from Microsoft Press effective for getting up to speed and in-depth on their products?
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is likely too high-level for you now - but maybe make a note of "VMware vSphere 5.1 Clustering Deepdive" by Duncan Epping and Frank Denneman ... I cannot recommend this book enough.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What about Hyper-V books, are those from Microsoft Press effective for getting up to speed and in-depth on their products?
    The mastering hyperv and mastering microsoft virtualization books on Sybex are excellent although 2008 r2 only.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • anthony.h80anthony.h80 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @jibbajabba: Nice, that looks like some deep stuff going on in VMWorld. It would probably take a while before i reach there though... icon_smile.gif

@Zartanasaurus: I am impressed with the excellent quality of standard found in Sybex certification prep books, so those two titles seem to be a good fit for learning more about Hyper-V. I must have missed that out while browsing through the lengthy list of MS Press official guidebooks. Thanks for pointing that out!