Passed ICND1

mgates67mgates67 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
Took and passed the ICND1 exam this morning. It was harder than I was expecting, but I ended up with (I think) a decent score. Got an 899. I'll take it.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations :D . I have a question. When did you realize you were ready to take the ICND 1 test? Yesterday I finished Wendell Odom ICND1 official cert guide 3rd edition. Also I've used the CBT and Trainsignal series, Dan's courses on youtube. Basically I've gone through it all. Took me 7 exact weeks, and 132 hours. I haven't taken any practice tests yet. I guess I'm wondering, how long in the review phase were you? or how much time did it take you to feel comfortable enough to take the test?
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mgates67 - is that you, Mel? Just kidding - congrats on the pass - great score! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • 2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    Congratulations :D . I have a question. When did you realize you were ready to take the ICND 1 test?

After doing the Boson Ex-Sim 640-822 and scoring above 90% repeatedly.

You'd also want to work with some sort of a network simulator, or better yet, the real equipment if you can afford to buy your own lab. I did, and it was one of the best things I've ever done.

The reason for the sim and/or equipment is that some of the questions are simulator questions, and if you have not done any or experimented with the equipment, you may not feel very comfortable with the question at the least.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
    OP, Congrats, welcome to the club.
    A+
    Network+
    2URGSE wrote: »

You'd also want to work with some sort of a network simulator, or better yet, the real equipment if you can afford to buy your own lab. I did, and it was one of the best things I've ever done.

The reason for the sim and/or equipment is that some of the questions are simulator questions, and if you have not done any or experimented with the equipment, you may not feel very comfortable with the question at the least.

Yeah, didn't mention that, but I've been Labbing with Packet Tracer at home and actual equipment at my University, I also had a class this one semester entirely dedicated to cisco, so yeah, that was a year ago, so when I started in Sept. my focused studies, it I was already familiar with all of it. I guess I should take a few days to review and then take a practice test to see my weak spots.
    Yeah, didn't mention that, but I've been Labbing with Packet Tracer at home and actual equipment at my University, I also had a class this one semester entirely dedicated to cisco, so yeah, that was a year ago, so when I started in Sept. my focused studies, it I was already familiar with all of it. I guess I should take a few days to review and then take a practice test to see my weak spots.

I tried many different practice exam engines, the best one was Boson, hands down.

If you can score above 90% all the time, on random practice exams, you're ready.
    A+
    Network+
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Congrats and good score!
    I tried many different practice exam engines, the best one was Boson, hands down.

If you can score above 90% all the time, on random practice exams, you're ready.

Cool, thanx a ton 2SURGSE I have 2 practice exams I got when I purchased my wendell odom books. But I will definately try to check out the Boson practice tests.
  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Congratz on the pass!
  • mgates67mgates67 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to take a few days off - gotta make the wife happy, don't you know - and then start in on the ICND2 material.
    Congratulations :D . I have a question. When did you realize you were ready to take the ICND 1 test?

Well, the answer to that question is probably going to be different for everyone. I started to get a little bored with reviewing the material because I felt like I already knew it. I was plowing through 10 questions on subnettingquestions.com in less than 5 minutes. I tried several practice exams from a few different sources and was repeatedly scoring high on them. I hadn't taken a Cisco exam yet so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I thought it was time none the less.
    Thanx for the insight, every bit counts.
  • NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225

Which of these would you recommend? I see the ExSim but the other one seems a bit better, and if it's only that much more expensive I might grab that...

Cisco CCENT 640-822 (ICND1) Certification Kit

640-822 ICND1 CCENT Practice Exam | Boson
    Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security
  • Brandon1981Brandon1981 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Expect ICND2 to be 2-3x more difficult. Don't waste time on the exam either. I ran out of time and failed my first time. Don't neglect subnetting. Although you learn the subnetting basics in ICND1, it will sneak up and get you on ICND2 because you may think you already know it well enough.