New to the board. Planning to take Security+ in mid December

movingzachbmovingzachb Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone. I am planning to take the Security+ test in mid December. I have completed a Network Security Fundamentals SOY-301 course through a local college. I believe it is supposed to prepare you for this exam. It was through Testout.com. Has anyone used this before and how has it worked out for you? Specifically the practice exams at the end of the course. Did they help prepare you for the actual test? Looking for any advice on what to study. Should I expect to do well on this test simply because I've completed SYO-301? Thanks in advance.
Security+

Comments

• yoshiiakiyoshiiaki Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well can't help you with sec+, but i know i utilized TestOut for A+ and it seemed to cover everything. Also seemed to me to be harder than the actual test. Cause I rembmer WGU saying I needed some 90% to be prepared for the test, and I was getting around 70% on the testout but when I took the actual exam I got basically around a 90%. (i don't remember my actual test score). So again, doesn't speak for sec+ in specific but I would like to believe that those tests are sufficient in testing your ability for the actual exam.
    Since you have the extra time you should read "Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead SY0-301 Study Guide" By Darril Gibson

it has been highly recommended on these forums and it is what I have picked up to get started on this particular cert myself.
    2013 Goals: [x] Sec+ [x] CCNA []Proj+ []OSCP
    2013 Stretch Goals: [] CCNA-Sec []Land Sec job
  • movingzachbmovingzachb Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I noticed that Darril Gibson book mentioned on more than a few threads in here.
    Security+
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome to TE.
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    If the course is just NETWORK SECURITY, I don't think it will cover all the domains that the Sec+ covers, so if I had to wager a guess at your question of would you do well if you completed that course, no, I dont think you will do WELL, you might pass, or come close to passing, but really you should use Darril's book, it is really all you need. Compare what was in the course to what is in Darril's book to really find out how you would have done had you taken the exam just off the course. But def don't take the exam without reading Darril's book.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Welcome to the forums.

College courses are often good to get knowledge, but often don't have the best resources to actually pass a certification. There are exceptions. I've often taught courses at a local university with the "Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead SY0-301 Study Guide" and stressed to students that they could take and pass the exam when we finished. I tracked it for a period of time and 90 percent or more of the students consistently took and passed the exam after the course. Sometimes life events took over and they had to cancel or postpone the exam.

Good luck.
  • movingzachbmovingzachb Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just placed my order on Amazon.
    Security+