new star wars??

demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    Yeah, I read that this morning. Offer me 4 Billion I would of sold it too.

    Personally, I'm not a huge Star Wars person anyways, so I don't care either way. But releasing a new movie every two years is overkill!
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    First Marvel, now Star Wars. Are any of my beloved childhood memories safe from Walt Disney's sinister, undead hands?
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    jmritenour wrote: »
    First Marvel, now Star Wars. Are any of my beloved childhood memories safe from Walt Disney's sinister, undead hands?


    not dead ... frozen
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Always thought Star Wars was overrated just like Disney.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jmritenour wrote: »
    First Marvel, now Star Wars. Are any of my beloved childhood memories safe from Walt Disney's sinister, undead hands?

    What they did with Marvel? Please do that with Star Wars :)

    Marvel movies and what Marvel managed to pull off with individual movies building up to the Avengers would have been unheard of years ago. Different studios owning the rights to everything it was a mess.

    As a reader of the Timothy Zahn books and the next dozen or so after that I welcome these new movies. The creative teams won't have to be afraid to tell George Lucas something looks/sounds stupid because he will only be a consultant in the new films.

    Also X:Men Days of Future Past and Singer returning as director was another bit of news that made me happy.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, EnCE, C|EH, CySA+, PenTest+, CASP+, Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 11,895 Admin
    I remember when Lucas announced way-back-when that all nine Star Wars movies would be completed by 1998. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    What they did with Marvel? Please do that with Star Wars :)

    Marvel movies and what Marvel managed to pull off with individual movies building up to the Avengers would have been unheard of years ago. Different studios owning the rights to everything it was a mess.

    As a reader of the Timothy Zahn books and the next dozen or so after that I welcome these new movies. The creative teams won't have to be afraid to tell George Lucas something looks/sounds stupid because he will only be a consultant in the new films.

    Also X:Men Days of Future Past and Singer returning as director was another bit of news that made me happy.

    My thoughts exactly, I do hope they base the movies off of the Timothy Zahn books as well.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Personally, I hop the 3 new SW movies get directed by someone like Chris Nolan ...Whedon would have been great, but he is tied up with the Avengers franchise (which he did a great job with so far!).
    I think it is time for a new direction --- I am a decently big SW fan, and even bigger Marvel fan, and like some other members have said ....if Disney does to SW what they did with Marvel...I think it will be quite awesome!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg CompTIA A+, Network+. Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, Disney has money - and money.. If anyone has the financial muscles to produce a Star Wars trilogy, it'll be them.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    All I can think of is the South park skit with Lucas and the storm trooper....
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    That was all in motion long before the Disney acquisition. Iron Man & Hulk were released by Marvel Studios in 2008, and Disney acquired Marvel in August 2009.

    Marvel started doing their movies on their own as soon as they were financially able to bankroll them.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    What they did with Marvel? Please do that with Star Wars :)

    Marvel movies and what Marvel managed to pull off with individual movies building up to the Avengers would have been unheard of years ago. Different studios owning the rights to everything it was a mess.

    As a reader of the Timothy Zahn books and the next dozen or so after that I welcome these new movies. The creative teams won't have to be afraid to tell George Lucas something looks/sounds stupid because he will only be a consultant in the new films.

    Also X:Men Days of Future Past and Singer returning as director was another bit of news that made me happy.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I saw an article on "E!" that the new movies will be a new story and not based on the novels. I kind of like this idea. Would be interesting to see a Rogue Squadron type movie.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Always thought Star Wars was overrated just like Disney.

    Yea - me 2 .. I think I watched the first (or second) three once .. I am sure I am still missing one or two episodes.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I saw Episode 3 at a drive in theater with my parents as a kid when it first came out. Had that awesome speaker hanging in the window. Loved it, even remember the disco soundtrack.... Last night I was about to flip out because one of my surround speakers became disconnected while watching Fringe on the DVR....

    I remember my dad taking me to see Raiders of the Lost Ark and thinking "Wait Han Solo is not flying the Millenium Falcon??".
  • JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, EnCE, C|EH, CySA+, PenTest+, CASP+, Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 11,895 Admin
    For any Sci-Fi fans that haven't seen it, I highly recommend the documentary, "The People vs. George Lucas." Lots of SW opinions and history there. It's available on Netflix.
  • WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    dave330i wrote: »
    Always thought Star Wars was overrated just like Disney.

    What! How is Star Wars overrated? It's amazing because you can get immersed in the characters, story, worlds, and galaxy. George Lucas created a 'Galaxy' we can go to experience a life you cannot in your everyday life. That is why Lord of the Rings is so popular as well, the same concept.

    On a different note I am not sure how I feel about this either, but I am sure I will go see them just like the rest of you. Well Episode 1-3 we're about Anakin, 4-6 were about Luke, will 7-9 be about Luke's son?
    Never stop learning.
  • yoshiiakiyoshiiaki Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I saw Episode 3 at a drive in theater with my parents as a kid when it first came out. Had that awesome speaker hanging in the window. Loved it, even remember the disco soundtrack.... Last night I was about to flip out because one of my surround speakers became disconnected while watching Fringe on the DVR....

    I remember my dad taking me to see Raiders of the Lost Ark and thinking "Wait Han Solo is not flying the Millenium Falcon??".

    Episode 3 as in revenge of the sith or 6 (original 3) as in return of the jedi? And if Revenge of the sith that would be awesome that there are still drive-in theaters, perhaps it's just the part of the US that I live in, but I've never so much as seen one(well atleast working, i did drive by one that was no longer in use anymore once).
    And I'm too young to know first hand, but wasn't 4,5,6 always called 4, 5, 6? I have seen "Original" (or so they claim) vhs tapes and on them they are still called 4, 5, 6. As that was his original plan, to develop the 2nd trilogy first, it makes sense they were always called 4, 5, 6 and people decided to call them 1 2 3 because they were the first three out.

    I think disney's control could go either way. I think that it could be on par or even exceed 4, 5, 6 depending on how they play things out or it could be on the level of or lower than 1, 2, 3. I find that when disney takes over it's a hit or miss really. So I would like to put my faith in them, as I believe they will at first produce amazing movies 7, 8, and hopefully 9. But then at somepoint either during the prodcution of the three or afterwards once they have proven they are a worthy of the series, they will make spin-off after spin-off after spin-off, direct to dvd spin-offs, animated series, games and w/e to fully exploit the series and capitalize on the money. They are a company and I understand that, I just hope they complete 7, 8 and 9 before they kamikaze the series.
    2013 Goals: [x] Sec+ [x] CCNA []Proj+ []OSCP
    2013 Stretch Goals: [] CCNA-Sec []Land Sec job
  • JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, EnCE, C|EH, CySA+, PenTest+, CASP+, Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 11,895 Admin
    yoshiiaki wrote: »
    And I'm too young to know first hand, but wasn't 4,5,6 always called 4, 5, 6?
    No, the original Star Wars movie was re-branded "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" when Phantom Menace (SW #1) was announced. There was a lot of years between the original trilogy (4,5,6) and the second trilogy (1,2,3) because George Lucas went through a nasty divorce that completely blew his original release schedule out of the water. For years no one knew if there would be anymore movies produced after the original trilogy. GL himself said he didn't know if there would even be a second movie while he was still filming the first.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Whiteout wrote: »
    That is why Lord of the Rings is so popular as well, the same concept.

    Don't think much of LoTR as well. I grew up in Asia, so I read stuff like Journey to the West, Romance of the Three Kingdom and watched Gundam, Great Mazinger, etc. Didn't watch Star Wars until mid-late teen and read LoTR when I was an adult.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    dave330i wrote: »
    Don't think much of LoTR as well. I grew up in Asia, so I read stuff like Journey to the West, Romance of the Three Kingdom and watched Gundam, Great Mazinger, etc. Didn't watch Star Wars until mid-late teen and read LoTR when I was an adult.

    Well I love LoTR, haha. Call me a mainstream geek, but whatever. Anyhow which of those books/series is your favorite? I'll give it a read.
    Never stop learning.
  • steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    If they allow anything close to the amount of creativity that was allowed for The Avengers film, this should be a great refresh. Anticipating!!!
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Whiteout wrote: »
    Well I love LoTR, haha. Call me a mainstream geek, but whatever. Anyhow which of those books/series is your favorite? I'll give it a read.

    The one I enjoyed the most as a kid was Journey to the West.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    yoshiiaki wrote: »
    Episode 3 as in revenge of the sith or 6 (original 3) as in return of the jedi? And if Revenge of the sith that would be awesome that there are still drive-in theaters, perhaps it's just the part of the US that I live in, but I've never so much as seen one(well atleast working, i did drive by one that was no longer in use anymore once).
    And I'm too young to know first hand, but wasn't 4,5,6 always called 4, 5, 6? I have seen "Original" (or so they claim) vhs tapes and on them they are still called 4, 5, 6. As that was his original plan, to develop the 2nd trilogy first, it makes sense they were always called 4, 5, 6 and people decided to call them 1 2 3 because they were the first three out.

    I think disney's control could go either way. I think that it could be on par or even exceed 4, 5, 6 depending on how they play things out or it could be on the level of or lower than 1, 2, 3. I find that when disney takes over it's a hit or miss really. So I would like to put my faith in them, as I believe they will at first produce amazing movies 7, 8, and hopefully 9. But then at somepoint either during the prodcution of the three or afterwards once they have proven they are a worthy of the series, they will make spin-off after spin-off after spin-off, direct to dvd spin-offs, animated series, games and w/e to fully exploit the series and capitalize on the money. They are a company and I understand that, I just hope they complete 7, 8 and 9 before they kamikaze the series.

    Oops I meant Episode 4 lol
  • gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    JDMurray wrote: »
    No, the original Star Wars movie was re-branded "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" when Phantom Menace (SW #1) was announced. There was a lot of years between the original trilogy (4,5,6) and the second trilogy (1,2,3)

    It was still Ep. IV shortly after initial launch. It wasn't renamed Ep. IV because of Ep. I-III.

    "The film was originally released as Star Wars, without "Episode IV" or the subtitle A New Hope. The 1980 sequel, The Empire Strikes Back, was numbered "Episode V" in the opening crawl. When the original film was re-released in 1981, Episode IV: A New Hope was added above the original opening crawl."
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)


  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i do like what disney did with marvel, only if they could get DC on board and make a justice league
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • JDMurrayJDMurray MSIT InfoSec, CISSP, SSCP, GSEC, EnCE, C|EH, CySA+, PenTest+, CASP+, Security+ Surf City, USAAdmin Posts: 11,895 Admin
    When the original film was re-released in 1981, Episode IV: A New Hope was added above the original opening crawl."
    Yeah, but this didn't mark the rebranding of the film's title. For example, when the official SW trilogy laserdisc set was released many years later (1993?) it listed the original SW movie's title as just "Star Wars." I still put 1999 as when "A New Hope" was formally branded, but it may have been a few years earlier.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    i do like what disney did with marvel, only if they could get DC on board and make a justice league

    Again, Disney had nothing to do how the Marvel films are handled, that was in place long before the acquisition. Warner Bros owns DC and holds all films rights, and could theoretically do a Justice League at any time.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Yeah, but this didn't mark the rebranding of the film's title. For example, when the official SW trilogy laserdisc set was released many years later (1993?) it listed the original SW movie's title as just "Star Wars." I still put 1999 as when "A New Hope" was formally branded, but it may have been a few years earlier.

    Correct - I remember "Episode 4: A New Hope" being apart of the crawl since the first time I saw it (born in 1979), but even the 1997 20th anniversary special bastardized editions still only refer to Episode 4 as "Star Wars". It wasn't until the new trilogy was released that 4 was referred to almost exclusively as A New Hope.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Disney to acquire Marvel in $4 billion deal | Reuters

    hmmm is 4 billion some magic number for acquiring awesome stuff lol?
Sign In or Register to comment.