Anyone have anything in there house thats techy/geeky that sets you apart from non IT

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
Anyone have anything in there house thats techy/geeky that sets you apart from non IT

besides your normal lab setup do you have anything cool that sets you apart?

An example that i mean is this My Home Automation - YouTube

that guy setup his own automation and i thought it was an awesome idea, something that i would want to do in the near future and isn't that expensive

Comments

• DaaxDaax Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've got a blanket with binary on it that says blanket....

~Daax~
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Lame^, no one here has anything cool like home automation ?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Nothing fancy for me. I get extremely irate when my personal tech breaks so other than the lab I keep it simple.
  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    I have a 54" TV also running XBMC. But other than that, nothing else. I've been wanting to put my lights on a remote for some time now but just haven't. More so because I plan on moving.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've used AD and other Windows server features to make certain network tasks easier, but nothing particularly interesting.

I have been looking at some solutions to control light and heat, and might implement that after I move in December. I definitely like the idea of turning heat or A/C down in my home while gone, but starting to warm/cool it back up/down when I'm on my way back. Even minor savings there will add up to something that pays for itself fairly quickly.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I have an AI that controls my AC at home:
    Nest | The Learning Thermostat | Home

Its pretty sweet so far.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How hard was it to install? What did it entail? Will the nature of my current system (assuming central heat/air) matter much?
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
    That nest looks pretty cool - if i couldn't control my ac/heater from my phone id definitely buy one
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    it was a lil harder for me than most, my system was a bit unique. i have central air as well but the honeywell system I swapped from was labeled wrong so it took 2 helpdesk calls. However WAAAAY easier than epected to install. literally 6 wires. and BAM done. :)

If it wasnt the bad labeling from the orinigal ac folks id have been done in 15minutes.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think this separates me from non-IT folk (see attached image).
    Daax wrote: »
    I've got a blanket with binary on it that says blanket....
    That is pretty cool! I want one!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    @ MAC_Addy: isn't that considered a lab setup?
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    @ MAC_Addy: isn't that considered a lab setup?
    It is, yes. Apologies, didn't read the 2nd line on your first post.
    CCNP R/S
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gotta Honda dirt bike and an glock model 27, anna butt load of stuff geekier than the honda & the glock.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Nothing. And I don't care.
    The only automated thing I have in my house is my coffee pot and the ice tray in my freezer. I also have 2 mountain bikes in the garage with lots of tools. Though, mostly everyone have all these items.
    CCNP R/S
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dude that ice try sounds pretty hand huh?

< house haha HOuse hahaha MIll-house,,haha he said house
  • ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmmm...

I have a 119" screen that drops from the ceiling in my living room with a 3D capable projector to watch movies.

My office doubles as a recording studio which allows me to make noise such as this... Pain Gauge - Oppressor (mastered version).
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Half of my basement is my studio for my music production and DJ work. I've got a multiple DJ setups connected to a large soundboard, and another PC set up for recording.
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    My house is automated through my security company vivint. I can unlock my door, turn lights on and off and control the temp. I could also use it for cctv but their camera options suck.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    There have been a few threads about home automation here previously. I ran x10 for a while and controlled everything I could in our apartment. These days I dont have as much time to play, but still dabble with making flashlights, raspberry pis, dabbling in model trains, and medium format film photography.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • DaaxDaax Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also have a binary clock and a clock made out of a HDD Oicon_smile.gif
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Home automation guy must be having an automated gf methinks icon_lol.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• BrizoHBrizoH Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have a 54" TV also running XBMC. But other than that, nothing else. I've been wanting to put my lights on a remote for some time now but just haven't. More so because I plan on moving.

Same here, although controlling XBMC from the iPad (XBMC Commander) seems to impress friends & family
  • Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    BrizoH wrote: »
    Same here, although controlling XBMC from the iPad (XBMC Commander) seems to impress friends & family

Yeah, same here. I use Android's app on my touchpad when I have visitors..
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    30 In Monitor? Trying to get my hands one 2 More U3011s.

Monitors. Lots of monitors.

Binary Clock. BAWLS energy drink bottles. my DIY soldering station. My small Cisco library, two whiteboards of Cisco VOICE stuff?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    I have a homebuilt server with 5x2TB hdd's in RAID-6, that I use as a file/WSUS/media server. I also use WMC7 extenders for all my tv's, and use Ceton's new home companion app to control the system. And my Ceton Echo beta should be arriving soon :). I've also been thinking of taking a spare box in the house and setting it up as a NIDS or standalone firewall. And monitors, lots of monitors.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No geeky tech stuff, but i do have a 1967 VW Beetle that I have been restoring for about 6 years now. I have done all of the work on it myself, despite not knowing how to weld, do bodywork and paint, never having rebuilt a motor, etc. I have basically either read about all the stuff on the internet, or bought books and taught myself (what I did with welding the new floors in the car.) Here are a couple of pics of my "mistress" (that's what the wife calls the car, lol).

The day I pulled it out of a guy's field and brought it home.
    HPIM3971.jpg

The floors were a bit holey.
    HPIM3970.jpg

In progress
    67bug015.jpg

Putting the body back on the freshly rebuilt pan
    67bug030.jpg

Done and at her first show, where I won the "Diamond in the rough" award.
    085.jpg

I have done a few things to the bug since then, but family and financial issues have forced her on the back burner for now. I am hoping to get the paint done in the next year or so. Like I said before, when i finish this project, ALL of the work on it will have been done by my two hands.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Not mine, but a good friend built a 4 player arcade console from the ground up (AutoCAD design, fabrication, electronics, soldering, installation) with a PC inside to hold ROMs for every console system ever made that hooks up to his projector...it's pretty awesome icon_thumright.gif
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Restoring cars are fun. Although, I'm not a fan of the Herbies or any Beetle. Give me a Chevelle anyday! Thank goodness they haven't butchered that name, yet.

Financially restoring cars is a money black hole. I can only glimpse at what you're going through. If I do have a child, they can have the car they restore. Give the child some appreciation for what they're driving and give them a heads up when it comes to taking care of a car themselves. That's my plan, anyways.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• chaser7783chaser7783 Member Posts: 154
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Restoring cars are fun. Although, I'm not a fan of the Herbies or any Beetle. Give me a Chevelle anyday! Thank goodness they haven't butchered that name, yet.

Financially restoring cars is a money black hole. I can only glimpse at what you're going through. If I do have a child, they can have the car they restore. Give the child some appreciation for what they're driving and give them a heads up when it comes to taking care of a car themselves. That's my plan, anyways.

I'm glad they have not tried to bring the chevelle back. I'm currently restoring my 72' chevelle, and I agree 100% it's a black hole money wise. There will always be things you will want to add and change, had the car since high school (street/strip setup) to now trying to convert it to a pro touring build.