Options

what is the frame relay switch used in GNS3? (confused)?

inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is their a model number for one of these?
are they currently in use?

I just did a GNS3, frame relay lab, that use a frame relay switch.

This configures differently than a router, that is used as a frame relay switch.

(it was much quicker to configure).

I google, (frame relay switch ) and nothing realy indicates that their is a unit with a model number that is called a frame relay switch.

Seems every instance of a frame relay switch other than GNS3 is ussing a route as a frame relay switch.

Maybe is the question better phrased is their an NM-xx that is inserted into a typical router that then created the frame relay interface.

when I was completed and did my show and ping

show frame-relay map
show frame-relay pvc
ping
ALL was good.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    In GNS3 it's just a simulated frame relay switch, not an actual model of router or anything.

As far as making a router switch frame relay all you have to do is have serial interfaces and enable frame-relay switching.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if you use the GNS3 frame relay (dummy) switch; nothing in the real world will configure like that.

Your saying, just use the router,

configure it as a frame relay switch, that is the proper way to do it?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    In the real world you probably aren't going to be configuring any frame relay switch or a router to act as one. Make sure you know how to set up the end router side and that's it. I'd just use the built in frame switch in GNS3 personally and not worry about setting up a router.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.