Possible Paths/Decisions

icehead14icehead14 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

So as long as all goes well tomorrow I should be A+ Certified and my journey begins. icon_cheers.gif Ive done a bunch of research and such. I feel like I have a pretty solid plan down. Just not sure on a few things. If you guys would be so kind and help out a newcomer. I would be forever grateful. I just want to get on the right track and push my new career in the right direction.

Obviously Im going to update my resume and start sending it out to see if I get any bites. Unfortunately I have 0 experience and pretty much all of my jobs are unrelated to IT in any way possible. The one plus I think is I've used a ticketing system when i worked facilities, but thats a long shot lol. I work for a big tech company although i do nothing technical(but i am working towards that). And I do some computer/phone/device repairs on the side for friends and family.

So my current plans/ideas are as follows. The temp agency I am employed at has an IT division. Ive talked to them about it and as soon as I am certified we can see if I can get transferred over to that and hopefully Get some experience under my belt. Personally I feel like this is a win/win. I get experience, I am still getting paid, and there is always a possibility of getting hired on full time. Plus my rep's assistant knows a bunch about IT(at least hiring and what not) and is willing to help me out as well.

Another option I have is there is a computer repair shop near my other job that I've talked to in the past and they told me once I'm certified to give him a call. He might be expanding and could be looking to hire. Would be awesome if that worked out. Although the last time I talked to him was a few months ago.(maybe I should have kept in contact)

As for Certifications. I am thinking the age old CompTIA trifecta, to get my feet wet and kinda see which direction I really want to go in. After that/during that route I've been considering going back to school.(WGU seems all the rage on this site) but I still feel like I'm not sure which specific degree I would get/role I would like to pursue as my career advances.

This is where i stand as of right now. I realize that everything could change at a moments notice all of my plans could happen or none of it could work and and I could happen a totally different way, which is fine with me as long as I end doing what I love. I moved 800 miles away from home on a whim when i was visiting my cousin and he asked if i wanted to move in. So change is not a problem. I like to go with the flow, while still staying on task and pushing towards my goals.

But I ramble(and get off topic very easily). Just wanted to see how you guys feel about this or if there was anything else you would do differently. Does this sound like I am headed in a good direction? Would a temp agency be good to go through for experience and possibly getting hired? Which certs should I think about after the initial 3 or should I wait until I have more of an idea of what I want to do? Same question with school.

Ok thats it I promise
All your help is much appreciated and hopefully I can help some people out when i am experienced enough.
Will

Comments

• lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums!

I think that the CompTIA certs are a good starting point until you figure out your focus area (Networks, Servers, Virtualization, Storage, VoIP, whatever).

If I were in your position I would probably prefer the temp agency over a computer (repair) shop. I would expect the temp agency to provide better jobs on the enterprise side of IT while the computer shop is probably more consumer focused.

Work on your certs, try to land a few jobs through the temp agency and once you find your area you should have a solid base and be able to land a permanent spot.

Best of luck to you!
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your plans sound pretty solid to me and you are willing to adjust to accommodate unexpected events - those elements usually spell success. Good luck in your endeavors! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • icehead14icehead14 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Awesome Guys I appreciate it. I passed So gonna call them temp agency tomorrow. Hopefully I can get my resume done soon.

Lordy thanks for the suggestion. I never really looked at it that way. The enterprise route would definitely be a smarter route to go.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good plan. Why don't you post your resume here? You'll get solid advice on it.