Options

Packet Tracer - what am I doing wrong?

sec_wizsec_wiz Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Just going through CBT Nuggets ICND1 at the moment, labbing away with Jeremy.

Anyway I'm running Packet Tracer 5.3.3

I can't seem to get static routes or RIP to work correctly - they don't save in the configuration.

For example:

I grab 2 generic routers, link them together with crossover cable (from my understanding any 'same/similiar' devices require crossover as opposed to straight through).

I set IP address on the 2 routers - light displayed goes green etc.

However when setting a static route e.g.

Config t
Router Rip
Version 2
Network 192.168.1.0

The above will be displayed in the the GUI interface of the router (under 'RIP' tab) however when I run a command such as:

'Show IP Route'

It will not displayed the advertised RIP network.

What am I doing wrong here guys?

Comments

• Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just did this packet tracer it works fine, build your lab just like this one.

Don't use the generic, use CISCO router and switches.

• Options
    Reck_Reck_ Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think its because there is no other network to be advertised

Try configuring an ip address on your looback interface for each router and include it in your network command

goodluck
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    Did you supply clock rate? one router(with DCE end) must supply to other router(DTE end) a clock rate. I had similar lab that failed cus i did not put a clock rate.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    Reck_Reck_ Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    He used crossover cable and build a P2P connection via fa ports.
  • Options
    Reck_ wrote: »
    He used crossover cable and build a P2P connection via fa ports.

Oh i missed that part.

OP, y you need to connect 2 routers via DCE - DTE connection. Crossover cable is not for WAN, you need serial cable for WAN protocols.
    So connect them via serial cable, and put the command "clock rate 64000" in DCE side of the cable in interface mode.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First, let's get some terminology straight. Words have meanings and they need to be used properly.
    However when setting a static route e.g.

Config t
    Router Rip
    Version 2
    Network 192.168.1.0
    This is not "setting a static route". What you are doing is telling the router to look for all interfaces in the 192.168.1.0 subnet and include them in the RIP process. Setting a static route means something completely different.

If you have an interface 192.168.1.1/24, it will advertise that network into RIP. If you don't have any interfaces in that range, well it won't advertise anything.

Secondly, did you do any basic connectivity? Can router A ping router B? If not, RIP is the least of your problems.

Thirdly, what is the network the two routers are connected by? If they are connected with the 192.168.1.0 network, you aren't going to see those routes show up in the routing table. I leave the why of that as an exercise for the reader. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're still stumped, share your configs.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're still stumped, share your configs.
    show ip protocols and show ip route would be more useful and a better way to learn how to troubleshoot.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    In my opinion all the routers config would be more helpful. But still i dont think he can run Wan protocol over ethernet port. He need serial port connection to run. Since i am not even certified yet, i might be wrong.
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    TurK-FX wrote: »
    In my opinion all the routers config would be more helpful. But still i dont think he can run Wan protocol over ethernet port. He need serial port connection to run. Since i am not even certified yet, i might be wrong.

Yes, you are wrong.

What WAN protocol do you see him running? RIP is a routing protocol. Your first post asked if the OP configured the clock rate, and another posted pointed out that he's using a crossover cable, connecting the routers on the ethernet port. You then reply back saying that he needs to connect it via a serial cable? I get that you're only trying to help, but giving out random/bad advice does not help.