Options

Another Recommendation for Switch (Home Use)?

m1chaelm1chael Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Yes I know another post asking for a recommendation for a switch for home use...lol

This is actually not so much for training as it would be used for my POE devices (IP cams / and the possibility of adding phones one day)

Anyway, I was thinking along the lines of a 24 port for future expansion....I already have 8 cams so never know when I will add more. Not quite sure if I should go ahead and consider a L3 switch or not?

Was looking on ebay at some 2960's and 3560's.....

Any recommendations / feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Comments

• Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    I got a 2950 running my house right now. My question is are you going to need L3 functionality for your set up? Because if you don't know L3 there is no reason to spend the money on 3560.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    EV42TMAN wrote: »
    I got a 2950 running my house right now. My question is are you going to need L3 functionality for your set up? Because if you don't know L3 there is no reason to spend the money on 3560.

EV42TMAN-

Thanks for your response...I appreciate it! To answer your question, yes I have "foundational" knowledge of routing which a L3 switch would encompass. I was just thinking about a L3 device just in case I decided to use as a router to replace my existing cheapo basic netgear solution.

Is that a good idea in your opinion or would you just continue to use a run of the mill basic homeowner type router for home use and just buy a strictly POE L2 device?

Thoughts / Suggestions....

Thanks,
    Michael
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just remember you cant do NAT/PAT on a 3550/3560/3750 switch. Also the 3550 do not support the current 802.3af POE devices. I was bummed to find out that my 3550 wouldnt power my IP cam and Cisco WAP-4410.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    Just remember you cant do NAT/PAT on a 3550/3560/3750 switch. Also the 3550 do not support the current 802.3af POE devices. I was bummed to find out that my 3550 wouldnt power my IP cam and Cisco WAP-4410.

Thanks for the heads up....I need it to support 802.3af due to having multiple ip cams....so this is a must!
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    2960POE will support the 802.3af devices
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    2960POE will support the 802.3af devices

Thanks for clarifying that the 2960 does POE...appreciate it...I will add that to my search list.