Options

Mini rack advice?

TC1TC1 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Building a home lab and need a mini rack, does anyone have a model they use or could recommend? I have a small lab, only 3 routers and 3 switches.

Comments

• Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    I didn't buy my rack from these guys (got mine for free) but a lot of people got theirs from here: Dantrak Net  - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I have a skeletek and I love it. If you want a small rack, then I would go with the rack that jdballinger linked to.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    gprasadbgprasadb Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Recently i bought Skeletek 12U rack and its awesome. You can easily fit 6 to 8 routers and also it has a wheel so that we can drag it and place anywhere in house.

Dantrak Net  - New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have a Skeletek rack which I like. And I am going to get a custom sound barrier built around it.

If you are on a budget- it turns out that some Ikea furniture has the perfect dimensions which can be used as a mini-rack. Do a goggle on "ikea lack cisco rack". There are some stylish ideas which may fit your needs.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117

Can't go wrong with this for a cheap and light, basic rack. The bottom few spots since the rack is tilted back will not take deep devices..
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    mgates67mgates67 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□

+1 to this. I just got mine the other day. It's cheap but sturdy at the same time. It also assembles/disassembles quickly if you ever need to move it.

The only complaint I have about it is that it's not really 12U, at least for full depth equipment like routers and switches. Because the verticals are set at an angle, the lower 1 or 2 positions can't be full depth. I tried putting my PDU there, but then the router above it blocked access to the plugs on the back. If you're not going to have more than 10U of equipment, it is the perfect affordable choice.
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gprasadb wrote: »
    Recently i bought Skeletek 12U rack and its awesome. You can easily fit 6 to 8 routers and also it has a wheel so that we can drag it and place anywhere in house.

Dantrak Net *- New and Used Networking Equipment and Peripherals. Skeletek Racks and Accessories.

I bought one of these for our NOC in Afghan. Made a great CCNP lab with equipment we had laying around. the Wheels allowed it to be brought to anyones workstation to play with. I had to make a sign up sheet due to the fact people we starting to fight over it. Very durable, very beefy.
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's mine:

12U Rack.

Cisco 2600 Router X 2
    Cisco 1800 Router
    Cisco Catalysts 2950 X 2
    Serial cables, 1 crossover, 2 ethernet

Paid $480 shipped via Ebay vendor.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • Options
    TC1TC1 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□

Ordered. Thanks for the tip! If I do deeper than CCNA I will purchase a bigger rack but this is perfect for now.
  • Options
    twill713twill713 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    2URGSE wrote: »
    Here's mine:

12U Rack.

Cisco 2600 Router X 2
    Cisco 1800 Router
    Cisco Catalysts 2950 X 2
    Serial cables, 1 crossover, 2 ethernet

Paid $480 shipped via Ebay vendor.

Just wondering what Ebay vendor you used, I'm working on CCNA and would love a home lab setup as I'm only using Packet Tracer at the moment.
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    twill713 wrote: »
    Just wondering what Ebay vendor you used, I'm working on CCNA and would love a home lab setup as I'm only using Packet Tracer at the moment.

Bro that`s not that cheap. I shopped around for

3x 1760 routers
    3x 2950 Switches
    2x rollover cables,
    1 serial to USb dongle
    3x WIC-2T cards
    some straight-tru and cross over cables.
    1 serial cable
    and one digi cm 32 for controlling the console
    Switches fans are little loud, but everything works perfect, and i spend
    $400 for all. you can get a this rack for $50
    which is better setup than his.

IF you are too lazy to shop around, i can sell you my setup, i think it is overkill for CCNA.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    How is 3 routers and 3 switches overkill for CCNA? I wouldn't suggest getting a lab without 3 of each.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    oli356 wrote: »
    How is 3 routers and 3 switches overkill for CCNA? I wouldn't suggest getting a lab without 3 of each.

First, i thought i cant do everything on pocket tracer. But now i figured it out pretty well. Otherwise 3router+3switches not overkill, just i can do everything on PT for CCNA.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)