Options

ICND 2 VLAN and VTP questions

2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
Not sure if this would be more of a CCNP question, but here it goes:

The book says each VLAN must be on its own subnet, which makes sense since it's a broadcast domain.

My question is:

Assuming I have a VLAN called Production, but the company has 2 branches in San Francisco and Boston (each branch has a gateway router, they are connected via FR). Users of this VLAN are located in each branch and must communicate with each other.

Does that mean this VLAN subnet must be divided correctly between the sites, so the subnets do not overlap? or is it done differently?

2. It is mentioned that VTP is Cisco proprietary, what happens on non-Cisco switches, how do they exchange VLAN info?
A+
Network+
CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)

Comments

• Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong but your VTP domain can't "span" across frame-relay(your going from ethernet to frame-relay), so your vlans in both branches would have to be different to avoid overlapping address. For communication between the branches just use frame-relay mapping/routing.

Can't comment on non-cisco switches.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    1. VLANs are usually kept site specific. Even if you have 'Production' at both sites they will be different broadcast domains unless you get an L2 ethernet WAN service for connectivity between sites. Even then its a good idea to only span L2 domains from site to site when needed.

2. Juniper uses something called GVRP and I'm sure other vendors have their own implementations as well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1) They will connect to each other via routing, not bridging. The VLANs at each site are irrelevant. Unless you're going to bridge over FR, which is something I wouldn't expect to see in a CCNA book. The subnets in your case can probably overlap without any issues, although there could be cases where they can't overlap.

2) VTP exchanges vlan info over trunk links.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the replies. It makes sense to keep them to different subnets, and have the router handle L3.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)