Power up after Outage

ITtech2010ITtech2010 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey All,

Hope everyone is ok after the Hurricane Sandy. I work in NYC so my company was affected by the power going out. We are hopeful that the power will be back on by Sunday. From the network prospective is there a procedure on bringing out Network (Core, Access) and system devices (Unix, Windows) like how we should start powering them up. I would like to have an idea of how to proceed or what to look out for from the network side.

Thanks

Comments

• rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That should be in your DR BCP plan (power up sequence). From the Windows side, you usually bring up your DC's first, then you can start bringing up the other devices (but again, you should have it documented on what the correct power up procedure should be, and that document should be readily available). DR 101.

To add, also make sure the computer room hasn't been compromised by water. If you have water damage you should really look at having that taken care before powering equipment on.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    Make sure you test major systems at each landmark stage. I.e. Core, server switches, DHCP, domain controllers, IPT etc... progress will be slower at the start but once the main things are checked and OK progress speeds up quickly as you can start bringing up multiple end systems at a time.

Edit: start cooling the room first and make sure the aircon is working OK.