Options

inside global and outside global?

jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
Trying to make sense of this from the Todd Lammel book but thought I would ask here to see if someone here can give me another explanation on it. I just want to make sure I understand all my weak areas before my test.

Comments

• Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I saw that today has to do with NAT, PAT, or DHCP.

I just got back on a route I will see if I can find it.

edit: cant find it sorry,
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Im pretty sure that has to deal with natting, when you take your external ip address and convert it to the internal ip address
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Inside global are your internal IPs after being NAT translated for the public internet.
    Outside global are public internet IPs you're connecting to.

One man's inside global is another man's outside global. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Inside global are your internal IPs after being NAT translated for the public internet.
    Outside global are public internet IPs you're connecting to.

One man's inside global is another man's outside global. :)

Cool way to put it :). But yeah, If it's outside, it's Internet side, or another network that's not your's. If it's Global, it's Public IP. If it's, local, it's a private IP.
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    jsb515 wrote: »
    Trying to make sense of this from the Todd Lammel book but thought I would ask here to see if someone here can give me another explanation on it. I just want to make sure I understand all my weak areas before my test.

• Inside global: The address of the inside host as seen from the outside
    • Inside local: The address of the inside host as seen from the inside
    • Outside local: The address of the outside host as seen from the inside
    • Outside global: The address of the outside host as seen from the outside
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    I made this in paint lol but I am correct on my labels?

click to enlarge
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jsb515 wrote: »
    I made this in paint lol but I am correct on my labels?

click to enlarge
    No.

Inside local is the actual address of the device from the perspective of inside your network (you got this right).
    Inside global is the inside local address translated into a public IP. This is the IP the public internet sees you using. You have inside global listed as the router's inside link. If would be the router's outside link or the NAT pool you are using.

Outside global is the public IP of some server you're connecting to (you got this right). Of course, your outside global is his inside global if you flip perspectives.
    Outside local is a little more rare. It's the outside global translated into an inside address for your network.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    so i have outside local and inside global reversed, don't know why but this confuses the heck out of me lol
  • Options
    so i think i'm starting to get the terms down, I understand how nat, pat works but these terms just cause my brain to short circuit a bit lol

is this image correct now?
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    jsb515 it looks right except the outside local; the outside local is actually a private IP address inside your network... so Google is say 74.125.134.102 but you nat it so on the inside of your network its 192.168.1.200; this is known as destination nat...
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    NAT_Basics.pdf

I hope this helps and doesn't over complicate things. Please excuse the quick drawing.
  • Options
    xXErebuS wrote: »
    jsb515 it looks right except the outside local; the outside local is actually a private IP address inside your network... so Google is say 74.125.134.102 but you nat it so on the inside of your network its 192.168.1.200; this is known as destination nat...

so would the gateway be considered a outside local?

see updated image again
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No, it wouldn't be the address of the gateway. Its the address of an outside device as it appears on the local network. Outside local will usually be the same as outside global unless you are doing something like destination NAT like xXErebuS pointed out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    gotcha thanks everyone for helping me hammer this in my head and thanks for the pdf xXErebuS!

this article also helped

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8526
  • Options
    FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
    Hmm, watching a video bij INE i states the following about the outside zones:
    • Outside Global => The IP you’re trying to reach (The Public IP address of the WWW server)
    • Outside Local => If NAT is also done on the network where the WWW server is, the IP address is also translated to an IP address local to that network. So the IP address of the Inside Global address (which is the public address we get translated to on R1) is translated to an Outside Local. So our Internet IP address is then an outside address on the network of the WWW server, but it’s translated to an IP range local on the network of the WWW server, hence the Outside Local.