Options

Why does RIP V2 Convert to classfull routes?

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ok maybe this is a dumb question, but I've been googling for a while and can't figure it out. So when I enter a network in RIP lets say 192.168.1.128 it will silently enter this as 192.168.1.0

So if I am understanding this correctly that router is going to advertise a route for the entire class C range of 192.168.1.x

So I guess I am confused RIP V2 is supposed to be classless so how do I go about entering a CIDR route into it for example 192.168.1.0/25 ?

Comments

• Options
    DANMOH009DANMOH009 Member Posts: 241
    I use no auto-summary command
  • Options
    Yes I have that command turned on, note I am using this in packet tracer on a 2800 series router, but even with auto-summary off the same thing happens.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The network command doesn't choose the network to advertise. It determines what interfaces to include in the routing process and advertise THOSE networks. Make a port with a /25 and see what shows up in a neighbor's routing table.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    I solved this.

1. No auto-summary is required.
    2. Your router will advertise the variablly subnetted networks, only if you have interfaces assigned on that router to those networks, this isn't handled through the network command, seems weird to me, but thats what I had to do for the advertisements to be sent out.
    3. Those interfaces also have to be plugged in to something, meaning it won't advertise it if those interfaces are in a down state, seems logical, but again it didn't send the advertisements until I plugged that FA int into a switch.
  • Options
    The network command doesn't choose the network to advertise. It determines what interfaces to include in the routing process and advertise THOSE networks. Make a port with a /25 and see what shows up in a neighbor's routing table.

Your right, seems I solved it about the same time you posted :D

Let me ask you this, is this the same for OSPF and EIGRP also?