Whats a good skill set to have with networking?

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
What complements a CCNA? I was thinking either exchange or virtualization.

Comments

• TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    In my job, a CCNP(voice).
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Depends on what you're doing. If you're going to be a JOAT or some sort of generalist, go for your MCSE. I have found that it's pretty useful to understand servers when you're working with the system admins
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Security or Voice.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    dave330i wrote: »
    Security or Voice.

Strongly agree.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Technically CCNA/CCNP Voice and Security are encompassed in "networking." I think what the OP is trying to ask is for skillsets to learn on top of networking. If I'm completely wrong in my interpretation of what he's asking and he wants an extra networking specializations, then go for security or voice
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    I would say server admin knowledge, though I think in general before moving on to a more specialized area such as exchange.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Packet Analysis -Wireshark
    Understanding various protocols SSH/HTTP/Telnet/FTP, compliments Packet Analysis
    Understanding SNMP for management MIBs/OIDs

Having some knowledge of servers is great to have when dealing with systems admins/engineers and servers. MCSA/MCITP:SA (whichever it is now). In my opinion this a great move to compliment the networking knowledge.

Depending on your environment and what's in demand and interests you:

Security - Firewalls/IPS/dot1X/EAP authentications/IPSec
    Wireless - Spectrum Analysis/802.11 knowledge
    VoIP - QoS/Codecs/Video
    Design/Architecture

All depends on the place you are at, and what skills your current position requires you to learn.

Network Warrior is great book to read after your CCNA, covers some real like scenarios the CCNA doesn't tell you about.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Exactly what im asking. Im going to learn Windows server 2008 R2 then. Maybe go after exchange afterwards.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like Steve said, I would strongly recommend learning to use wire-shark. Learning it will force you to have an understanding of IT system across the board from the application level on a client down through the network layers and back up to the application layer on the server.

To be successful in using packet tracers you require a good general IT knowledge, it will contently throw up little bits n pieces that you have not come across that take a few minutes to Google and get the idea. and not only do you learn the ideas but how the work together.

Once of the best things that happen to me was that just as I started out in IT, I was given a enterprise level packet analysis tool to set up to monitor the company network and report on. learnt more from watching traffic flowing across the network from any other project I have carried out.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Also i'd reccomend getting some ITIL experience as this would complement your techincal skills quite well. - I'm planning to do the same thing.
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recommend woodsman or jewelcrafting.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    As I move up the chain my prospective on this has changed. The skill to have im my opinion is how to read and understand what you read, and how to speak and write in a language that others can understand. If you add that in to your daily mix you will really move further ahead than others. This is a big problem for me right now and I can say with confidence that this will keep me from moving into a network architect job for some time. If you start younger this will be second nature by the time you are ready to move up. The other one is dressing, I already had this one down cold, but for others out there start dressing better when you are meeting customers internal or external it matters.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What compliments a CCNA? IMO...the skill of effective verbal and written communication. So many people have trouble communicating effectively to both technical and non-technical personnel, that if you are able to do it somewhat well, you will stand out.

Of course I could have said "certification X"- but anyone can get a certification, being an effective communicator takes some practice (and patience), which most people overlook.
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    What compliments a CCNA? IMO...the skill of effective verbal and written communication. So many people have trouble communicating effectively to both technical and non-technical personnel, that if you are able to do it somewhat well, you will stand out.

Of course I could have said "certification X"- but anyone can get a certification, being an effective communicator takes some practice (and patience), which most people overlook.

I hope that plays a key role in my career. As well as possessing great techinal skills; My written and verbal communication skills are great to. I'm starting to think that maybe I should go into more of a Consulting/Project Management role rather than a Technical one. What are your thoughts on this? Surely some of the other members here might feel the same way?
    If you can speak and write well you can get into pre-sales which can bring big money, and you also have the option of being a great team lead and possibly move into a practice manager or some other technical management track with those skills.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    shodown wrote: »
    If you can speak and write well you can get into pre-sales which can bring big money, and you also have the option of being a great team lead and possibly move into a practice manager or some other technical management track with those skills.

Pre-sales? Is that what the job title is usally titled as? I'd really like to do some more research into this job role.
    In the us its usually titled pre-sales. They usually work with the sales team to keep them out of trouble with capabilities of the gear, and coming up with the right parts and license list. Some of them do light configuration. I know one guy who does at least 1 UC install a quarter to ensure he is staying sharp.
    Currently Reading

• Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you should definitely get the A+ so you have the knowledge needed to maintain hardware and operating systems. I didn't realize how important this was at first. If you are A+ certified, people know that they can go to you for a problem rather than calling someone else to take care of it. Additionally, you don't have to worry about being replaced by someone who has all the skills you have and is A+ certified. Networking is great, but companies might find more value in someone who can resolve hardware and software issues and do upgrades and installations.
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    I recommend woodsman or jewelcrafting.

loooool.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    negotiation and debating ... half of networking is explaining why you need stuff and professionally negotiation (ex ill give you a bigger mail box for approval on this router)
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    negotiation and debating ... half of networking is explaining why you need stuff and professionally negotiation (ex ill give you a bigger mail box for approval on this router)

lol - sad but true ...

Project Management might be a good add-on too - so would ITIL be.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    shodown wrote: »
    In the us its usually titled pre-sales. They usually work with the sales team to keep them out of trouble with capabilities of the gear, and coming up with the right parts and license list. Some of them do light configuration. I know one guy who does at least 1 UC install a quarter to ensure he is staying sharp.

I looked at a pre-sales engineer position with Brocade, they required 12 years of experience, heavy configuration and migration knowledge. It depends, I suppose, on how the company handles the sales process. At Brocade the pre and post sales engineer are the same person. I will put my Brocade contact up against anyone in the networking world. He gets paid a lot and has a flexible schedule.

I have had the same experience with Avaya, their pre sales engineers are top performers. I only point this out so reasonable expectations can be made. I would expect to work in the trenches before you are working up BOMs for a network.