Hi guys,

My lab so far (11/09/2012)
1x Cisco 2950 24 port Switch
2x Cisco 3548 48 port Switch
2x Cisco 2620 Routers
1x Cisco 1760 Router
1x Digi CM32 Console Access Server
1x Dell F1D Server

I am looking for additional suggestions for my lab. My goal is CCNP at some point possibly more, I also intend to at least look at voice at some point since my company uses it alot.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Comments

• Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Personally I don't see the point in having 1 router and 1 switch.

You can learn the IOS commands but thats about it. 2 routers can send packets to different networks, though with 3 routers you can use routing protocols.
    You need switches for VTP and STP, neither of these you can learn properly with 1 switch.

Therefore, I don't see the point unless you have 3 of each.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    vyaraguddavyaragudda Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Fine if you dont have physical device even though you can do pratice for you CCNA.

GNS3 is an emulator which helps you to pratice for CCNA exactly like real router and Switches..
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^ Except switches.

There are things you can do with just 1 router and switch. However, three would be optimal. It helps to see how things would go down the line with more than 2. For example: VTP changes, would a transparent middle switch still transmit domain information? Would it still work?

GNS3 is a cheap way for the routers. It just takes some setting up, and it's not perfect, either. Not to mention working on the actual hardware means you'll do more than just enter commands... Upgrading flash/DRAM, Password Resets (and knowing that Ctrl+Pause is Alt+B for TeraTerm), Swapping Modules, Backing up/Updating IOS software. There's a lot of experience that I find so much more valuable than emulating it.

Look Kiddo, At first it may be two items. That's alright. It's expensive. And I remember when I got my first switch, I didn't know what to do with it (Now what?). Just remember: make it grow, make it work, make it your network. Build a DMZ, buy a ASA 5505, setup phones in your home - VoIP is cheap, setup free guest wireless. It's like tinker toys, but these toys help to get you a decent job!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would have a minimum of 3 routers and 2 switches to properly learn the CCNA topics.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    You need to have a new avatar. May I suggest a Ninja, ltat42a? :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    I have bid on some more routers and also won an auction for a DIGI CM32. Like you said I might as well spend the cash as its an investment in my eyes, $500-600 for another 10-15k in yearly wages :)
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I would have a minimum of 3 routers and 2 switches to properly learn the CCNA topics.

Or even better 3 switches for STP labs...
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    ok i upgraded my 1760 to this version. Can someone confirm this is the correct version i need?

r1#show version
    Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T14, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: Support and Documentation - Cisco Systems
    Copyright (c) 1986-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Tue 17-Aug-10 19:13 by prod_rel_team
    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    r1 uptime is 0 minutes
    System returned to ROM by reload
    System image file is "flash:c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T14.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
    States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
    use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
    third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
    Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
    compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
    agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
    to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.
    A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
    Export Compliance Product Report Application
    If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
    export@cisco.com.
    Cisco 1760 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x400) with 131072K/16384K bytes of memory.
    Processor board ID FOC07271K8S (3022977834), with hardware revision 0000
    MPC860P processor: part number 5, mask 2
    1 FastEthernet interface
    2 Low-speed serial(sync/async) interfaces
    32K bytes of NVRAM.
    65536K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
    Configuration register is 0x2102
  • Options
    santaowns wrote: »
    ok i upgraded my 1760 to this version. Can someone confirm this is the correct version i need?

r1#show version
    Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T14, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: Support and Documentation - Cisco Systems
    Copyright (c) 1986-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Tue 17-Aug-10 19:13 by prod_rel_team
    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    r1 uptime is 0 minutes
    System returned to ROM by reload
    System image file is "flash:c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T14.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
    States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
    use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
    third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
    Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
    compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
    agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
    to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.
    A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
    Export Compliance Product Report Application
    If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
    export@cisco.com.
    Cisco 1760 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x400) with 131072K/16384K bytes of memory.
    1 FastEthernet interface
    32K bytes of NVRAM.
    Configuration register is 0x2102

Sure. Do you know where to find how much memory the switch has by that output you pasted?

• Options
    TheSicilianTheSicilian Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I get the need for multiple iterations to really grasp all the facets of routing protocols, how seemingly small changes will throw the network into chaos. If you cannot drop the coin on physical hardware, you might be able to simulate having multiple routers by connecting a couple routers virtually through GNS3. I apologize as I am speaking in the semi-theoretical here because I have not done it personally, but I have seen others who have done just that. I good friend practiced for his CCIE doing just this and did fine.

Best of Luck!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I came to this thread enticed by the title and was completely disapointed with the contents. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    You were looking for some geek pr0n? I did, too.

I think at the CCIE level, if you've used hardware, then it's fine to use GNS3. It's just cheaper and easier to manage and far far more scalable. If you've never done it before in real life, then it's time to drop the money. This is more true if you're going beyond the CCNA studies.

Now if CCNA is only your goal, you don't need to drop money on hardware - it just gives you an edge when you do get to work on it. I'm sure if you walk into an interview saying "I maintain my own network and you go into the juicy details..." I'm sure you'll grab someone's attention. Dealing with cabling, hardware, upgrading, all that jazz. It's a good experience for those without the time on the production network.

• Options
    Rogue the memory is listed here

1 FastEthernet interface
    32K bytes of NVRAM.
  • Options
    Sicilian I tried gsn3 and packet tracer, but just with the switch and router i have i have experienced more than what i did with both of them combined. I had to rommon recover the 1760 after upgrading its flash, i would have never had to do that with packet tracer. I also had to upgrade both the 2950 and the 1760's ios. I did learn alot so far, I also have them hooked up to my home network so I can now lab from work during my free time(i cleared this with my boss, so she added it to my IDP for the year and now i can get paid to study ccna :) )
  • Options
    Also I purchased 2 more routers from JeanM two 2620's. I should have them soon. --- update i actually picked them up yesterday.
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    Definitely need more routers so you can play with OSPF and EIGRP. The more routers the more involved the neighbor and topology tables can be :)

If youre looking into CCNP you definitely need a Layer 3 switch. Cisco 3550's come cheap these days and the EMI version is L3.
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    added two 3548's today and will add a 3550 later as my work is in the process of upgrading and deracking all of ours. Now i should be able to lab and go for my CCNA around jan 1st.