Options

42u 2 post rack - how to stabilize.

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just received a 42u rack from my work. We're no longer using it and were just going to throw it away. The rack is very similar to this :86201.jpg

As of right now my lab is in my spare bedroom, which has carpet. I was just wondering if anyone has built anything to stabilize their racks or if there's anything I can do to not let it fall over. Now, please don't state the obvious with drilling bolts into the ground - I already know about this. At the moment I rent a house, and I don't think they'd appreciate me drilling 1/4" holes in ground.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it's carpet just use a hole saw, cut the holes out, drill into the cement foundation. When you're finished, plug the hole up with something and put the carpet circles back into the opening.... Atleast that's what was under my renter places. I mean hell, given the state of the carpet already, that's the least of the damage! Paint below the carpet holes, to make the cement blend in with the carpet ;)

It's all about the presentation, if you make it look good. No one's to be the wiser!

You could alternaltely use wood to stablize it, one on each side, opposing directions. Adding Legs will increase the area the rack takes up because of the legs.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    With a two post rack, normally its in a Comms closet and the top of the rack is secured to the wall, and of course bolted to the floor. Given your situation, I would suggest buying a stud finder and locate the 2x4 behind the dry wall and drill holes with anchors, all the material is at Lowes/Home Depot. For the floor, I would suggest getting plywood and make a square double the size of the base. Connect the two post rack to the plywood and let it rest on the carpet.

I personally use a 4 post rack on wheels and bought plywood for it to roll on. Your two post rack would not be feasible for home use to be honest.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ouch. If it was my own house I would do as Vanquish suggested. In your situation I would have originally bought a 24 unit from DanTrack since it's made for labbing. I have a unit just like you have pictured, but it's sitting in my garage unused for pretty much the exact same reason. They are unsafe if they aren't secured.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have an Idea.
    1). Get a 2nd free one from work and convert to a 4 post rack.

2).Chop that in half and convert to a 4 post rack.

It may not have the same look as all others, but so what. Mine was a free, self made. I have been told that mine looks kinda like a tree house, but it was free.
    Mine is on pg 39, of post your lab pics, it works and has never tipped I put wheels on mine also.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Loading it from the bottom-up should work for a little while. Once the center of gravity changes you'll run into possible issues. Instead of drilling it into the floor, get some 2x4s secure it to that. Create a small area at the bottom where you can load it with a ballast of some description. Maybe even add some self-leveling casters to it.
  • Options
    Death DreamDeath Dream Member Posts: 149
    I posted pretty much the very same question here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/82745-bolt-down-server-rack-modification.html#post688222

I'm just holding onto it now for when my lab grows beyond my current cabinet.
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    So if it isn't a big deal how much floor space this thing takes up, just get a 2'x4' sheet of plywood from the hardware store and bolt it to that. Or you can bolt it to some 2x4s or something. All kinds of ways to make it solid.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    2x4 should work just fine; two 4 foot pieces with inset toggle bolts from the bottom with washers and nuts on the top will make it rock stable. you will need two drill bits one to make the hole the size of the bolt shaft an a larger one to make inset holes one the bottem so the bolt head and washer is flush on the bottom. When you stand it up it should be quite steady even on carpet . If you already own or can borrow a power drill then you should only be out the cost of 4 bolts 8 flat oversize washers and 4 nuts.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO